Technics SU-Z400 problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My uncle recently gave me this amp because he had it in storage for ages and was going to throw it out.
When it was put into storage it worked, but now (about 5 years on) it doesn't work.
When plugged in and turned on it does nothing; no lights, sounds anything.

Does anyone know what could be wrong?
Any help is appreciated.

ahh, think i ma have just figured it out. I "carefully" connected a 240v light globe inside the amp where the 2 power wires are soldered to a small board, plugged it in and no light.
Never really thought the cord could be bad as it looks in perfect condition, guess i'll swap it out and see what happens.

Have just picked up on these posts while looking for info on this model I'm looking at for a friend. If you are still interested, i have diagnosed on this one what may be your problem. On my friend's amp's transformer the primary winding that is being used is open circuit. This gives symptoms identical to yours. Hope this helps - there could be a batch issue with these transformers, who knows ?? [This one has the Matsushita logo on it.]
I think a cheap second-hand amp would be the only shot at a result for me.
P.

get yrself a multimeter,set it to read ac volts -set it to a high range if it isnt auto ranging and check the ac supply going directly to the mains transformer primary,then check the ac supply from the transformer secondary-if it is present yr transformer is ok if not-some transformers have an internal temp.fuse which simply could have failed due to old age.
if you are unlucky the transformer primary may be faulty but doubtfull or yr secondary may be oc....you should be able to dissassemble the transformer to get to the fuse ...

get yrself a multimeter,set it to read ac volts -set it to a high range if it isnt auto ranging and check the ac supply going directly to the mains transformer primary,then check the ac supply from the transformer secondary-if it is present yr transformer is ok if not-some transformers have an internal temp.fuse which simply could have failed due to old age.
if you are unlucky the transformer primary may be faulty but doubtfull or yr secondary may be oc....you should be able to dissassemble the transformer to get to the fuse ...

KEEP IN MIND ....that some of these trafos feature windings for other voltage also and this might be a complication

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.