Transistors for 80's vintage amps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2009, 03:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Transistors for 80's vintage amps

What is a good source for hard to find transistors in receivers like the Marantz
SR8100DC and other similar vintage early 80's receivers? I've tried the usual places like Digikey and Mouser and can't find output transistors for this receiver.

Thanks,
Old 30th October 2009, 10:09 PM   #2
qsa is offline qsa  Germany
diyAudio Member

Normally you can replace with todays devices

Are you looking for Mosfet or BJT ? TO3 or TO3 P

which devices do you need ?
Old 30th October 2009, 11:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsa View Post
Normally you can replace with todays devices

Are you looking for Mosfet or BJT ? TO3 or TO3 P

which devices do you need ?
These are BJT types with the numbers 2SA1108 and 2SC2588. The others, (2SA1011 and 2Sc2344) I was able to find. The package type is a MT200.
I did find a 2SA1108, but can't find a 2SC2588.
Old 31st October 2009, 10:32 AM   #4
qsa is offline qsa  Germany
diyAudio Member

Sanken has a lot of MT200 devices

try to use similar devices with 200V, normally its work wonderful, but today MT200 is popular like TO3,....to expensive/pcs. for todays amplifier manufacturer.

To get TO3 replacement for obsolete devices in 20 - 40 years old Vintage Amps with better performance in Sound is very easy

Last edited by qsa; 31st October 2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 31st October 2009, 02:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsa View Post
Sanken has a lot of MT200 devices

try to use similar devices with 200V, normally its work wonderful, but today MT200 is popular like TO3,....to expensive/pcs. for todays amplifier manufacturer.

To get TO3 replacement for obsolete devices in 20 - 40 years old Vintage Amps with better performance in Sound is very easy
Thanks,
I did find the one transistor at Littlediode Ltd in England and ordered a couple from them. The rest I found in the USA. But, I am going to take your advice on future projects. I see a lot of these MT200 devices in 25 - 65 watt amps form the early 80's. Normally I serviced vintage and high end tube hifi and guitar amps, but of late I am having requests from people to service vintage transistor hifi amps and am running into more and more of these kinds of parts availability issues. So, substitutes are becoming a viable alternative to rescue these vintage receivers and amps form the dumpster.
Old 31st October 2009, 04:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

i can guarantee you one thing !!!!

the original parts exist in Japan ....The only problem is that you, me, and the rest of the world cannot get in touch with the people that have them since these are small sub assembly companies that dont speak english . dont have web pages ( since they have nothing to advertise ) and can comunicate in any other way unless you are japanese and you really have a "nose'' for looking in to things like that

As we speak i am about to source parts from japan while i try to comunivate with 220 listed companies that are related to parts like that ....

No mater how many times and how many parts i ve been trying and listen too the best so far and unbeatable by far to any other was the 1302-3281 pair
Old 31st October 2009, 10:40 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

It would be an interesting and informative exercise for you to convert to more common available transistors.
Old 1st November 2009, 02:26 PM   #8
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangele View Post
...but of late I am having requests from people to service vintage transistor hifi amps and am running into more and more of these kinds of parts availability issues. So, substitutes are becoming a viable alternative to rescue these vintage receivers and amps form the dumpster.
But if you put an ISC (or NTE!) part in place of a Sanken chances are the unit will end up in the dumpster - because they're not going to want to fix it TWICE.
Original MT200's are a **+(# if you just can't get them. Sometimes you'll just have to bite the bullet and put in TO-247's.
Old 31st October 2013, 01:06 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hello Folks,

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but, has anyone found an acceptable modern substitute for the 2SC2588A & 2SA1108A pair? I can not for the life of me, find the originals anywhere, and my buddy's old Marantz pm700 blew it's little brains out trying to drive a dead shorted speaker line, and subsequently requires 2 each of the aforementioned devices. Any ideas would be tremendously appreciated!
Old 31st October 2013, 01:39 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

You could try the NTE Electronics replacement cross-reference. Their datasheets will give you enough info to find a suitable device. E

Hide this!Advertise here!