Trying to build a small battery powered amp... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2009, 11:03 PM   #1
James39 is offline James39  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Trying to build a small battery powered amp...

Hi there, sorry if this is the type of thing that has been discussed before (I searched but didn't see anything) or if this is in the wrong field.

I'm a nut for stupid little projects, and am looking to expand on one I did a while back. I had put some ammo crates from an army surplus store onto my bike for storage, but never use them for more than holding some spare tubes and whatnot. Upon finding some old speakers I tossed in storage a few years back, I decided to take on the project of building them into these ammo crates and running up to an MP3 player on the handlebars as a bit of a novelty for large group rides I participate in. Obviously, I want it to be self contained in crates, so size is somewhat of an issue; though that's mostly going to lie with the batteries and speakers themselves.

Being the clichéd broke college students, I'm doing this with as many found parts as possible. I have access to a pretty large array of resistors, small capacitors, diodes, leds, etc. thru my school and the electronics lab at my work; so my main concern is just to avoid any specialized parts and to use a design that is optimal for the speakers I have.

The speakers are just some crappy Insignia ones, and are marked as being 5-40W with 8ohms impedance. I can solder well and have taken enough classes on electronics to follow a schematic, but I have fairly little knowledge that actually applies to my project. While searching I've seen a handfull of schematics for small amps, but they always want more power than I can get with the space I have for batteries.

Where do I start?

Thanks!
Old 30th October 2009, 02:21 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
pictures of the speakers ...

Last edited by tomtt; 30th October 2009 at 02:22 AM. Reason: 2
Old 30th October 2009, 04:04 AM   #3
col is offline col  Australia
diyAudio Member

Just get a Lepai TA2020 off of Ebay and a 12v SLA. Don't charge it over 13.2v though.

col.
Old 30th October 2009, 05:22 AM   #4
James39 is offline James39  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtt
pictures of the speakers ...
These are the speakers.

Insignia® - 3-Way Indoor/Outdoor Speakers (Pair) - IS-SP3WAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by col
Just get a Lepai TA2020 off of Ebay and a 12v SLA. Don't charge it over 13.2v though.
I'm looking to build something myself for the fun/challenge of it. Plus, I just started taking courses geared towards switching my major to electrical engineering, so I'd like to get some experience. And, above all, I have no money to buy anything, even if it is cheap.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. If I do end up giving up on building my own, that looks like a pretty good option.
Old 30th October 2009, 06:07 AM   #5
GK is offline GK  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by James39 View Post
Where do I start?
With an LM380N
Old 30th October 2009, 06:30 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
For only Twenty bucks or so, you can get what you want....Try here.
You should be able to build it no problem.......you'll HAVE to spend something.

www.electronickits.com

__________________________________________________ _______Rick......

Last edited by Richard Ellis; 30th October 2009 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Link not showing

Hide this!Advertise here!