Realistic MPA-100 Model#32-2023

When I got this delivered I plugged it up and got nothing but the power light. So, I cracked it open and started poking around. First off I found signs of overheating on the preamp board along with a resistor that was disconnected on one side. I started taking the board loose so I could examine it better. I disconnected 4 wires. Stopped, and when I started again a week later I forgot which wires I took off from which post.... So now I am stuck. I can't even find the service manual to buy it, let alone find one to download. I'll work on that. When I got the board loose enough to flip it looked terrible. I'll definitely have to clean and re-solder it before I re-apply power to it. I didn't see any burnt traces though. Just a lot of corrosion. I am going to replace the two resistors where it looks burnt. That's all I think it might need. If any one has any schematics or knowledge of this amp I would appreciate the input.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Third try, this time using photo bucket.

realistic_front.jpg

realistic_back.jpg

board04.jpg

board03.jpg

board02.jpg

board01.jpg

back_of_board.jpg

Last edited:
i thing you are in a bit of a mess ....this will be not easy ....as about the schematic that will be twice as hard

only chance is to try hard

I don't think I am in to much trouble. I only have three wires disconnected that I need to figure out. The rest I will carefully mark and document. This will be a nice amp when I finish!

Denis, Honestly I had put this one the back burner and forgot about it. I found another one on ebay and bought it so now I have a guide to go by. The Second one I got is working but, it has a "high" , "Tinny" sound to it; Absolutely no bass or lower register whatsoever. So now I have two amps that basically do not work right. I will be diving back into them both in the coming months so I will take any advive or suggestions, and I will post my progress. Cheers!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
PA systems as audio

PA amps don't or perhaps didn't always offer a full hi-fi audio range, as old shopping mall sound systems would suggest. It may still require the schematic or reverse engineering to locate any preamp filters that intentionally cut bass and high treble for announcement or background music. Otherwise, the usual treatment of replacing the electrolytic caps, main ones in particular, will restore weak sound with hum that occurs as these dry out with age and heat.

My recollection of old Realistic and similar equipment from the '70s is that that that's how they sounded, so they will be disappointing for home audio use. Mods may help but just how much, is down to the original design. As it appears to be transformer coupled to the speaker system, like most 70 or 100V line systems, there is one big limitation on bass.

Last edited:
I also have this amplifier. It looks like 2 resistors have been overheated or perhaps cooked as the other poster had the same issue. Looks like R 207 which reads 40 ohms and R 216 which reads 170 Ohms. I wish I knew what the original values are? I cannot see and numbers or resistor band codes. I would like to replace them but their resistance may have changed since being overheated.