Watt Sucking Fireball Series - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2009, 09:06 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

The driver transistors were ones that I made 16 years ago as part of the Vudu All Metal Tube audio project. We were going to produce gridded electron channel devices in silicon having triode characteristics.
Old 2nd November 2009, 03:28 PM   #12
Paper mache horn fabricator
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadbagger View Post
The driver transistors were ones that I made 16 years ago...
Good lord! Talk about DIY.
Old 2nd November 2009, 03:30 PM   #13
Paper mache horn fabricator
diyAudio Member

Can you teach me how to replicate that jfet front end? It doesn't seem right to just copy... I'm very impressed!
Old 2nd November 2009, 03:57 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

That's the first time I heard that in probably 40 years -- my grade school 5th grade teacher's brother was a student at Case Tech and they made some transistors and tubes in their lab. It impressed me enough to remember it!
Old 2nd November 2009, 05:35 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter View Post
Good lord! Talk about DIY.

Timbering BA-traveller,

Not DIY, Kirkwood the apparant Harley afficinado is Mr KRL.

His TO-8 metal can FET tubes were predecessed by Teledyne stuff, though those were cascoded high voltage JFET devices with a pentode signature.
Old 2nd November 2009, 10:32 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default You got it !

Still Diy for 45 years and deeply engaged with linear anything, But how do you know about my love life with Harley's...................K
Old 2nd November 2009, 11:13 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Your memory is good Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
Timbering BA-traveller,

Not DIY, Kirkwood the apparant Harley afficinado is Mr KRL.

His TO-8 metal can FET tubes were predecessed by Teledyne stuff, though those were cascoded high voltage JFET devices with a pentode signature.
Here's the original 0AX7 assy and a 7027-A silicon tube emulator on the curve tracer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0AX7-Assy.jpg (132.0 KB, 1257 views)
File Type: jpg 0AX7-curve.jpg (176.4 KB, 1189 views)
File Type: jpg FEAU-7027-A.jpg (159.9 KB, 1132 views)
Old 2nd November 2009, 11:37 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi roadbagger,

Are you sure you guys want to associate with this much retro technology? I still have 1000's of JFETS from the old Micropower fab circa 1977 (John Hall and company). I don't see a profitable future in this direction. It's fun and all that, but the applications are falling to cheap CMOS techniques every day.

BTW one of my cousins was married to John Davidson. He came to a funeral in a Hummer painted green and gold (The Pack) with 4 chesse heads in every corner.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 2nd November 2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:03 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default Ya-Know.........

[QUOTE=scott wurcer;1968162]Hi roadbagger,

Are you sure you guys want to associate with this much retro technology? I still have 1000's of JFETS from the old Micropower fab circa 1977 (John Hall and company). I don't see a profitable future in this direction. It's fun and all that, but the applications are falling to cheap CMOS techniques every day.
QUOTE]

Sorry fella, but there is always the transition between electricity and the sound making things we love to emulate sonic reality with and that zone is my life's passion, and it's all linear. I've got a trove of the MP parts too and the ones that John is making now, I prefer. Linear Technology does improve with science and the LIS guys are about to make our linear, low IM lives a lot better. "loop gain is cheap" (John G.) but it sure doesn't sound good.

K-wood
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:06 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=Roadbagger;1968180]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Hi roadbagger,

QUOTE]

Sorry fella, but there is always the transition between electricity and the sound making things we love to emulate sonic reality with and that zone is my life's passion, and it's all linear. I've got a trove of the MP parts too and the ones that John is making now, I prefer. Linear Technology does improve with science and the LIS guys are about to make our linear, low IM lives a lot better. "loop gain is cheap" (John G.) but it sure doesn't sound good.

K-wood
Ok go for it, hobby businesses are at least fun.

Hide this!Advertise here!