Rotel RB 850 and Marantz 5002 both burnt out, please help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did something terrible last night. I wanted to compare the sound between my rotel amp, and marantz receiver, and accidentally had the same speaker hooked up to both amp and receiver at the same time. I know, awful!

I turned the power on and before I realized my mistake both units burned up.

So I was hoping there may be a fuse I could exchange in the rotel or marantz. Do you guys think this is possible, or may I have fried a whole control board or something? Is it recommended to take the cover off to try finding the fuses, or should I be careful of potentially discharging one of the caps, and shocking myself?

I would really appreciate any help, since this really has ruined my day.

depends on your skills ... if you just fried a fuse that will be easy to replace ... the voltage inside the amps in the capacitor are is too low to cause a shocking

to be on the safe side it is enough to disconnect mains cable then let the unit rest for some time ( few minutes will do ) since inside the unit there is resitors that will discharge the caps but if not still you dont really have a problem

keep the unit without the cover replace the fuse (s) and then observe if when power on the fuses blow again ( safety distance will be a wise thing to do )

if the fuses are blown again then you are in more trouble ....expert help is required

kind regards sakis

I pulled the cover off the RB850 tonight, and 2 of the 4 fuses were blown. I'm gonna try replacing them tomorrow and see what happens. The Marantz receiver on the other hand is much newer than the rotel, and I'm a bit afraid to open it up...I don't know where the fuses would be on that guy. I can't seem to see them through the containment lid.

Do I really not have to worry about getting shocked by any latent voltages?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.