J Fet Buffer problem - help !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Just put together a cheap J fet buffer with regulated +/- 15 v supply.
All off E Bay from the usual suspects in the far east and less than £ 30 for the lot - including traffo - great !
Lashed it together in a hurry - placed it between CD player and Alps Black Beauty and hey presto....much better in bass, extra mid info and slam department.

I then read about putting it between the pre and power amp and found that in doing so the protection relay in the power amp clicked in and out.
No hum, music in between clicks from both speakers but could not find the problem.
Reversed it back to original config and it was fine again !!

My power amp has input impedance of 1V / 50 Kohms and the black beauty is 50 K.

Don't know whether this is relevant but if it is what value should I ideally have
please?

What have I done ?

Andrew:confused:

Truth is I really don't know.

If I have put DC on the input why does it work after the CD player and not after the pot ?

I think I've attached a pic of the buffer - you'll have seen it before
no doubt.

Can you tell me what to do ?

Hey, maybe there'll be no difference having it before or after the passive but I want to find out if poss.

Really appreciate the help

Andrew

Attachments

• fetbuffer2.jpg
    fetbuffer2.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 128
Grufti, thanks.

I'll give it a try and see.
Any idea why it's OK after the CD ?
It really is good, much better than when passive.
Thanks to all who have thought about this for me.

Andrew

Since it looks like a small circuit with few components - make the schematics ( or ask the Hong Kong seller for the schematics) - measure the DC voltages/post it here so- people can tell you what is wrong - if any?
it will also help you understand this in relation to many buffers
sk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.