Dx TriAmp bass unit - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2009, 02:04 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer X View Post
...There’s no problem about you Ultima Thule..you are not such
kind of guys, but your question made me suspect you may be addicted
to such kind of group of ideas…. ...
hahaha thats ok!

You manage to make a second reply while I was typing on my reply...
sure I understand what you mean, some times we should all be able to relax and just listen to music, and not the amplifier!

Cheers Michael

PS: Carlos, I'm very happy you got the Olympics 2016!

Last edited by Ultima Thule; 19th October 2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 19th October 2009, 02:34 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Quote:
the ratio is 60 percent to the woofer, 30 percent to the midrange and 10 percent to the tweeter....in watts this means 60 watts, 30 watts and 10 watts
That is the wrong conclusion. The reason, why you need less power for the tweeter, than for the woofer lies in their different sensitivities. Your tweeter has easily a 10 dB higher sensitivity than the woofer. That is, why you need about ten times the power for the woofer than for the tweeter.

The 60/30/10 ratio describes, how the load is distributed. If you had three drivers with the same sensitivities, they would need the same 100 W peak amplifier power for a flat frequency response. But their average power handling would be 60 W for the woofer, 30 W for the mid-range and 10 W for the tweeter.
The sensitivity changes that ratio. If you use a tweeter with 10 dB higher sensitivity in that configuration, it only needs 10 W peak amplifier power and 1 W average power rating.
Old 19th October 2009, 04:08 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Thank you Ultima Thule..you are very welcome

Yeah Ultima.... we've got the Olimpics..we gonna be the town..we are extremelly proud of that....happy as a morning bird because of that...in special we have winned Madrid...and we all know was a huge battle to win Madrid!.

In the Dog's face hill, under the rigth ear, they found Viking letters saying someone that died and was buried there.

a hug to you Ultima...we have to take that drink around the swiming pool....do you remember?

Carlos

.................................................. .................................................. ...................................

You're wrong PacificBlue.... try to do it, build something alike, and you will see that even driver's sensitivity will not be the issue to balance a lovely system.

be happy!

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copacabana - RIO - my home town!.jpg (587.4 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg The Dog face hill in RIO!.jpg (229.1 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by destroyer X; 19th October 2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 19th October 2009, 04:50 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Those passive filters uses low voltage capacitors, and they use to be very cheap....also a single resistance or two will not be expensive.

What i do not know, for a while, is the sonic advantage for passive or active...i have to assemble both and compare.

Active can have higher level of attenuation, i do not know if i need that or not..i suppose not.

Passive distorts...but integrated circuit also distorts.

Passive does not need supply, when active will need a 12 volts symetrical supply.

I am not sure...but i think passive is natural.... seems more simple... and simple use to be better...we gonna see in the future.

Also, all of you can try and post your thougths about.

regards,

Carlos

Hello Carlos

Wen it's possible, I prefer to use passive filters, because active filter use op-amps and those do have a kind of sound signature and op-amp mostly need lot of feedback. If you need to use active filter use Bessel type to get better transient response.

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited by gaetan8888; 19th October 2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 19th October 2009, 04:59 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Default I do feel this way.... i will produce active too, because a friend asked

and i will be sure about all those things....i am not sure, there are some "attraction".....there are something very fashion when we use op amps...people believe high technology is hidden inside those black cases...big black magic there!....you know.... imagination can feed all kind of people needs.... whatever people wants.

In the reality, inside op amps we have an audio amplifier..with differential input (modified), voltage amplifier single or symetrical, drivers and output..all that stuff and an enormous ammount of ccs, mirrors, current sinks, stabilizers, impedance matchers (buffers) and so on..... in my imagination, all that stuff may distort more than resistances and capacitors...but...i am not sure in advance to build and test.

regards dear Gaetan.

à bientôt

Charles
Old 19th October 2009, 05:08 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Hello Carlos

Which op-amps do you have in your parts bins ?

Bye

Gaetan
Old 19th October 2009, 07:28 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Default Man!... i have several

Here you will see some of them... also i have the 4558 and 4560 and some numbers alike... the old family.

Some are alike small bugs...hard to hold between the fingers...i really do not like that stuff!... to read the numbers i have to find magnified lenses.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg I have several.jpg (637.5 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg small bugs.jpg (445.3 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by destroyer X; 19th October 2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 19th October 2009, 07:30 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Default Here you have some more.

attached,

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg most famous ones.jpg (797.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg smd units.jpg (521.2 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by destroyer X; 19th October 2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 19th October 2009, 10:14 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Hello Carlos

Same for me, I don't like those SMD Ic's, they are so small.

The 4558 and 4560 are not very good.

LM5532 and LM5534 are old but good, you can bias them in class A.

The LM4562 are very good but need good decoupling.

There was a good page about op amps but was close, but here is the page in
web archive;

Opamp Design

Bye

Gaetan
Old 19th October 2009, 10:43 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Default Thank you Gaetan

The TriAmp playing at nigth.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TriAmp at nigth.jpg (737.8 KB, 62 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!