Trying to repair Samson SX1200 w/ blown outputs on one channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know this is an old thread but i try anyway, did you get a hold on the service manual?
I can't seem to find service manual for Samson SX1200 anywhere, anyone got one?
I just bought two of these sx1200 as repair items, both got dead channels.
A service manual would be handy before i start examining it. Only done a visual check, nothing obvious.

service manual

I know this is an old thread but i try anyway, did you get a hold on the service manual?
I can't seem to find service manual for Samson SX1200 anywhere, anyone got one?
I just bought two of these sx1200 as repair items, both got dead channels.
A service manual would be handy before i start examining it. Only done a visual check, nothing obvious.

the same i think..

Attachments

• S1000.pdf
    474.2 KB · Views: 132
Thanks, other than some different component values and types it looks very similar.

Have done some testing, and most of the output devices are blown along with the emitter and base resistors.
While i'm in there i'm gonna recap the boards, and maybe add the fourth pair of output devices. Looks like there's just enough room for it on the heat sink, and it's already pre tapped :)

The power supply has 2x 3300uf 100v Su'scon cap's on each channel, seems a little low for 2x 300w 8ohm? So i'm looking for replacements in the 6800uf 100v range, but not eager to throw too much money at them, any suggestions?

Hi, I know, old thread, long shot. I want to know how to do what you all can do. I'm looking at a Samson sx-1200 on my bench, and found this thread. Using the info from this thread I know I can probably find part numbers for transistors and solder them into place. I know I'll (at best) be just hoping for the best when I power on the amp after replacing the parts, not knowing at all whether I did any good or not.

What are your stories? How did you come to gain the knowledge that you use to repair amps like this? I can make a crossover, I can gewgle how to test a particular component, but where do you learn how to put it all together, end-to-end? I consider myself a repairman of all kinds of equipment, and as such I have lots of people who look to me as an electronic 'guru' but I know how much more there is to learn, I just need to know where to build a foundation.

Thanks so much for reading this 2-3AM call for help. I really appreciate any feedback that might point a drifter in the right direction.

-EJ

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Electronics is an expression of mathematical concepts and it's very slow going to learn much by tinkering about on the bench without formal theory and demonstration.

However, a lot of folk cut corners and play with computer simulation to avoid the grind of theory lessons. For a hobby only, it's probably not a bad strategy but you won't learn much initially, other than what seems to work in the exercises you and others following, have tried out. Practice can still bring about a greater understanding and prompt more study, even so.

You build a learning foundation on reading texts and practical experimentation, like any serious science. Here are the forum favourite texts by two of our highly regarded senior members, written, I think, for those with more than a basic familiarity with audio electronics to begin with:
Audio Power Amplifier Design: Douglas Self: 9780240526133: Amazon.com: Books
Designing Audio Power Amplifiers: Bob Cordell: 9780071640244: Amazon.com: Books

A good, comprehensive and very informative website with all the basics, discussion and needs for just about any audio project - also by another member, Rod Elliott (rode): Elliott Sound Products - The Audio Pages (Main Index)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.