Auricap, Hovland or NO Cap?[Search for the Best Cap]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I noticed using different types of polypropylene caps like Audyn by Intertechnik, Epcos/Siemens or Wima MKP at the output of my DAC a screaming quality to the sound. It is very fatiguing and makes violins crush your soul.
The old ERO KC1854 and MKC1862 are better but not totally lacking this flaw.
I tried also without any coupling capacitor and this is by far the best sound!
My question is are the Hovlands or Auricaps better in this respect?
The screaming sound is subjectively located at 5500 Hz and sounds like some kind of ringing at this frequency.
Any help is greatly appreciated!:nod:

How can you listen without cap? There is 3V DC at the output of a DAC.

I tried Hovlands, and although I liked them somwhere else, they didn't sound well at the output of TDA1543, too agressive;). BG 4.7N were not bad and MIT RTX are very smooth with a detailed top end. Maybe you should try Siemens MKV as they seem to be more mellow and sort of recessed around the area of a spectrum you are complaining, but still having lots of detail at the very top?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The old ERO KC1854 and MKC1862 are better but not totally lacking this flaw.

polycarbonate caps tend to mate well with this kind of problem...nonetheless it is a problem and I can't explain how you managed to get rid of it by using no cap.

As Peter points out, where did the DC voltage go to?

Peter uses far more revealing caps in his DAC, the MIT RTX series that will give you something akin to a magnifying glass for all tonal anomalies in the preceding circuit...

I've no experience with neither Auricap nor the Hovlands but from what I hear from other people they don't sound at all like what you described here...:scratch:

Peter,

Maybe you should try Siemens MKV as they seem to be more mellow and sort of recessed around the area of a spectrum you are complaining, but still having lots of detail at the very top?

Sounds like bandaid design to me...I'd rather solve the problem first, then voicing may be an option.

Cheers,;)

EROMET

Is there anybody who used these EROMAT caps.
I haven''t tried them sofar but maybe some of you guys who has experience with these caps.

Attachments

• ero.jpg
    ero.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 444
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Re:eromet.

Hi,

The Eromet are using...sit down please...bitumen for an insulator.

Those caps are at least 50 years old, no idea what they sound like. Thank God I'm a little too young for that.;)

Edit: Most were made in the former Eastblock countries.

Caps

Peter Daniel said:
How can you listen without cap? There is 3V DC at the output of a DAC.

I tried Hovlands, and although I liked them somwhere else, they didn't sound well at the output of TDA1543, too agressive;). BG 4.7N were not bad and MIT RTX are very smooth with a detailed top end. Maybe you should try Siemens MKV as they seem to be more mellow and sort of recessed around the area of a spectrum you are complaining, but still having lots of detail at the very top?

Hi Peter,
Thanks I am considering the Siemens MKV's too. Too agressive also describes my problem very well.
Actually in my case the DC-voltage is 6.5-6.8V. But currently my preamp is passive, just a Shallco pot and the poweramp has a inputcap. No clicking sound when changing the volume.
From what you describe the MIT RTX are worth a try.

The whole problem might be a issue of the TDA1543 in combination with my speakers (Khorns). The 5500Hz region is not the best part of the horn. The TDA1541AS1 did not have this phenomenon in fact subjectively it lacks all sound in this part of the audiospectrum......
Weird!

;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.