Applied Audio Electronics 101-201

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since finding this invaluable site, I’ve learnt a fair amount , mostly about the merits of various speakers and amps.

In the last few months, after settling on amplifier (gainclone & Aleph-X) and crossover (complex: Linkwitz Phoenix) projects to build, I’ve accumulated a number of electronics questions.
Answers would be appreciated:
:confused:
* On a circuit, what is a jumper?
* How do you (while minimising risk to a valuable pcb) cut a “circuit trace”?
* Inverting/ non-inverting refers to phase(?), but other than that, is either inherently better?
* In a parts list, what does “electrolytic (?) 0.05 esr” mean?
* Is there a good online audio electronics glossary?

Even more so, what do you recommend for "beginner to intermediate" widely available books and/ or websites, particularly on
* formulas for active filters,
* Amplifiers (amongst other things, I want to build relatively simple amps that eg meet pre-determined minimum output voltages and current capability, as referred to by Linkwitz in http://www.linkwitzlab.com/thor_splmax.htm
:bigeyes:
If such a thing exists, an equivalent to the LDSG http://www.snippets.org/ldsg/idx.php3 would be a start.
(I know you have to crawl before you can run . . )

And if they exist, texts with less pro-orriented 'importance-waffle' than eg the LDC are preferred.
TIA!
Richard
:)

Hey dude,

A "jumper" is a piece of wire that goes between 2 holes, just as a component, on a board. This usually connects 2 traces that they couldn't connect while in layout. While playing with active filters and gain, etc. you can "jumper" or short resistors to see the effects of losing resistance.

Cutting traces isn't too hard if the copper isn't a thick gauge. I use an "Exacto" blade with the sharp point. They are called "Hobby blades." They have a pencil type handle. I cut the trace in 2 places, about 1/16in. apart and heat the little bit between the cuts and the copper comes right off.

Inverting/non inv. does refer to the INPUT phase. Which is better depends on what your circuit does with the phase..... It gets complicated......

Electrolytic is the type of capacitor. The electrolyte is much the same as in a Lead/acid battery, Where the acid is the electrolyte. The capacitor is more like a battery and a capacitor at the same time as opposed to just 2 plates, separated by paper. It can hold a much larger charge, for longer time. ESR means Effective Series Resistance. Yes, a capacitor has resistance and is sometimes important to take that into account. .05 is it's resistance in Ohms.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Book Suggestion

"Electricity and Electronics" by G. Randy Slone. Available from Amazon.com.

Since you want to DIY something, this is a good place to start. If you haven't built anything, the lab power supply in the first few chapters is a good learning experience. You will need one anyway and building this one is cheaper than buying one. Read the parafraphs on safety two or three times minimum.

Slone has a couple of other books, too. They are mostly amplifier and other projects. Even if you stick with your current plans, reading through these will gic=ve you a better perspective on the whole matter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.