DIY Curve Tracer for PC - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2012, 03:21 PM   #81
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kannan_s
I think the original box itself had external power supply connector. Probably the Kit was supplied with this external power supply?
I assume this kit needs a 40V DC/ 2~3 Amp - not necessarily a linear one
Kannan
Old 15th February 2012, 03:28 PM   #82
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
Does the supply need to be internal to the system? If the internal power supply is the size and weight challenge for this device to be shipped perhaps a version that uses an external supply would make sense. Packaging the electronics in a case without the internal supply would make the finished unit a little more cost effective and allow a complete system to be shipped. Heat sinks are usually not heavy.

Power supplies can be obtained locally by a user that are compatible with the local mains. Is there any reason why the power supply needs to be a linear one for this device?
There are certainly many ways to optimize the shipment, and what you propose is very relevant indeed.. but then we are going from a simple group buy to a product redesign... this was not my intention in the first place.

After discussing with Locky_z though...
Heatsink is 400g, which will adds to the cost of the kit and shipment
Aluminium Casing is 1.3kg .. could probably be shaved down to 700g if made smaller...
.. We could make it plastic, but then can't we all go to radio shack and purchase our own casing, in the flavour and color that we like, and drill a few holes ourselves ?

Current design is made to order. Locky_z does not have the tooling to make a "customized" plastic case. What could be offered is the "V2" style which is "home made" and which I suppose we could do by ourselves...

(this is DIYaudio isn;t it ? )

Last edited by Lazybutt; 15th February 2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 15th February 2012, 03:40 PM   #83
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kannan_s
Yes - Lazybutt, you are right that removing the weight ( of mechanical components that can be locally added) only for DIY Audio group buy makes a lot of sense. This without making any revision to product is the easiest. However Locky_z can plan a revision ( as he had already revised the item in the last few months) for a mass audience will benefit him infact. He can sell more qty this way through his ebay like channel ( Alibaba site?) as his price is getting inflated for Aluminum Box/powersupply plus associated charges.
It is a very good suggestion from 1Audio
kannan
Old 15th February 2012, 04:36 PM   #84
diyAudio Member

Group Buy open here

GB for DIY Curve Tracer for PC

Please let's stop polluting this thread with GB related posts

Thanks!

Fred
Old 16th February 2012, 12:39 AM   #85
bcg27 is offline bcg27  United States
diyAudio Member

Are there any specs on the maximum current/voltage this can test at?

For example would I be able to do a Vc vs. Ic for something like a 2sc3675, a 900 volt NPN?
Old 16th February 2012, 01:19 AM   #86
locky_z is offline locky_z  China
diyAudio Member

The intelligent curve tracer measure max voltage is 36V.
And max current is 2.5A
Old 16th February 2012, 11:12 AM   #87
bcg27 is offline bcg27  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 11:30 PM   #88
Vladco is offline Vladco  United States
diyAudio Member

I've got a few questions about this curve tracer. How difficult to match transistors or fets? What the options to compare? How any pieces I can do at the same time? Can I save data to file and use it later? I'm sorry if I ask stooped questions. I never used curve tracer before.
Vlad
Old 21st February 2012, 12:22 AM   #89
locky_z is offline locky_z  China
diyAudio Member

When you measure the curve of a DTU, do not clear the screen, and then measuring the second , so you can see two curves, and then the third ....
You can compare their error on the screen, find the curve matching.
Or you can choice ‘Calculate’ , such as you select Ic=5mA, It will calculate all the DTU hfe(or Vgs) at collector current equ 5mA,and sort them in a list.

Match transistor you can choice Ic->Hfe curve,
Match fets,you can choice Vgs-Id curve.

The measure data(curve) can save ,so you can load them later,and compare with the new DTU,

How much transistors can measure at same time? I have not tried.
But I tried at the same time measuring more than 120 curves, the screen becomes crowded and slow.
Old 21st February 2012, 05:00 AM   #90
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I received the first samples from Locky_z this weekend, and as an outsider / newbie can complement what Locky_z just said

I guess the answer about how many can be measured simultaneously is: ONE only

You can also save the data and import in Excel. That is very easy.

After playing with it for a few hours only, I can say overall the Curve Tracer is very easy to use and intuitive. Of course there are some translations difficulties, and possibly a few things to improve, but I must say the software is very easy to use and convenient.
Also a lot of things to configure, but it's very automatic and works without getting your hands dirty.

I had never used a curve tracer either, and were able to measure most basic curves of an IRF9610 MOSFET after 20 minutes.

You can find the User manual in the GC thread and have a feel of how difficult it will be to measure a device.

About easiness of matching, it's exactly as Locky_z said. You measure one by one, and compare the curves visually. (you can also do more complex / algorithm treatment by exporting the data)
Haven't used the "calculate" function yet
The Graph interface is very robust. (just misses the axis labels and legend.. :P)

One funny function is the ability to auto-detect a device... you put any 2 or 3 legged device in the X, Y, Z socket, and it will tell you what it is (diode, NPN, MOSFET, etc..) , and what are the pins !
Fred

Hide this!Advertise here!