DIY Curve Tracer for PC - Page 35 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2013, 01:53 AM   #341
locky_z is offline locky_z  China
diyAudio Member

The system can calculate the Yfs,
After you get the the Vgs-Id curve,
1. Hold down left mouse button, and draw a rectangle,
2. Release mouse button, then the menu will show,
3. Select 'Vgs=[xxx-xxx]Calculate(V)' menu
4. The system will use 'the method of least squares' to calculate the (delta)I/(delta)V, and show all curve value in the 'line slope' of column ,Their unit of measure is mA/V.
Old 12th February 2013, 12:39 AM   #342
diyAudio Member

Locky,
I cannot get the tracer to work properly. Here is my orignal graphs and the "new", post problem, graphs.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Doc1.doc (72.0 KB, 53 views)
Old 15th February 2013, 07:57 PM   #343
diyAudio Member

Default sweeping +Vc

Hi guys

I am trying to measure the simple IV characteristics of my solar cell in dark. I used a simple test diode before running measurements in my real device. I loaded the diode condition and tried a Vc sweep from -5 to +5 V with respect to the S/E and Vb = 0V. However the voltage does not sweep from +5V to -5V it only goes less than +1V (till +0.56). But the voltage does go to -5V. I am setting the current to be 300 mA so its not the case of reaching max current.

Please let me know what might be going on.

Thank you.
Old 19th February 2013, 06:52 AM   #344
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandipjung View Post
Hi guys
I loaded the diode condition and tried a Vc sweep from -5 to +5 V with respect to the S/E and Vb = 0V. However the voltage does not sweep from +5V to -5V it only goes less than +1V (till +0.56). But the voltage does go to -5V. I am setting the current to be 300 mA so its not the case of reaching max current.

Please let me know what might be going on.

Thank you.
"Vc sweep from -5 to +5V" is mean the power is from -5 to +5V,It include the voltage drop on Rc.
Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 1.GIF (2.2 KB, 420 views)
Old 10th March 2013, 03:14 PM   #345
The Dastardly Dad of Three
diyAudio Member

Locky, I ordered the fully built box on eBay and got it a few days ago.
Installation went smoothly but I needed to reinstall the USB driver two times before the software would detect the tracer. Since then, I have played with it a lot this weekend and it is an excellent and useful tool to have.

I measured my first curve within 5 minutes of installing - your preset measuring setups make it easy for a beginner to get started.

I also LOVE the part and pin auto detect - makes life easier for us too lazy to check the datasheets. It autoidentified correcly all the semiconductors I tried except for the power jfet - but these are rare devices so thats not unusual I would imagine.

I think I'm only using 10 percent of what this device can do but further exploration is limited by the minimal English manual - wish I could read Chinese maybe this is a useful reason to learn !

Thank you for developing n supporting this very useful tool ! Cheers
Old 18th March 2013, 08:54 AM   #346
diyAudio Member

Default I write something about the script

Example how to write a cluster of FET Vds-Id script.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Tracer software V3.5(ENG).zip (175.5 KB, 71 views)
Old 19th March 2013, 12:15 AM   #347
The Dastardly Dad of Three
diyAudio Member

Locky thank you. I have been doing the fet characteristic curves manually so this is a HUGE help ! Cheers )
Old 20th March 2013, 12:54 PM   #348
diyAudio Member

Hi Locky,

I have unit 109, and I finally had the time to build in inside a nice enclosure, and now it is up and running fine. I started to do a lot of tests !

Now I have a key question (which I tried hard to answer myself), but I think there is something I don't understand, or something I do wrong.

It's about the Hfe-Ic curve: what is the unit of Ic on the bottom curve line: mA or something else like x0.1 Amp?

To explain my question, see attached screendump with Hfe-IC curves for 2SC1212A, 2SC734-O, 2SC3421-Y, 2SD669AC and 2SD669A. The Ic measurements stop at 25~26 mA (?), while I expected the meter to go to 1000mA max as selected. I want to reproduce the same graphics as in the datasheets, where you can see when Hfe start to fall after 250~300mA (like the 2SD669AC curve in this picture, but it starts at 24 mA ???), but all the measurements stop at 25 mA ? (or is it 250mA?)

How can I make Ic to continue to where I want, say 500 mA? See also attached datasheets for the Hfe-Ic curves I want to reproduce.

thanks for the great tracer!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2SC1212A.jpg (80.5 KB, 248 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2SC3421.pdf (150.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: pdf 2SC1212A.pdf (29.7 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by AmpliFire; 20th March 2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 20th March 2013, 02:51 PM   #349
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpliFire View Post
Hi Locky,

I have unit 109, and I finally had the time to build in inside a nice enclosure, and now it is up and running fine. I started to do a lot of tests !

Now I have a key question (which I tried hard to answer myself), but I think there is something I don't understand, or something I do wrong.

It's about the Hfe-Ic curve: what is the unit of Ic on the bottom curve line: mA or something else like x0.1 Amp?

To explain my question, see attached screendump with Hfe-IC curves for 2SC1212A, 2SC734-O, 2SC3421-Y, 2SD669AC and 2SD669A. The Ic measurements stop at 25~26 mA (?), while I expected the meter to go to 1000mA max as selected. I want to reproduce the same graphics as in the datasheets, where you can see when Hfe start to fall after 250~300mA (like the 2SD669AC curve in this picture, but it starts at 24 mA ???), but all the measurements stop at 25 mA ? (or is it 250mA?)

How can I make Ic to continue to where I want, say 500 mA? See also attached datasheets for the Hfe-Ic curves I want to reproduce.

thanks for the great tracer!!
You can look the NMOS measure figure example.
You use RC=1K, and set 'Vce' constant at 10V.
When 'Ic'=25mA,then The voltage drop('Vrc') on RC is 25V.
Because C channel output maximum 36V(Power supply is 39V), So the more 'Ic', the smaller 'Vce'.
Attached Images
File Type: png 11.PNG (9.1 KB, 233 views)
Old 20th March 2013, 10:25 PM   #350
diyAudio Member

Hi locky,

Thanks for the reply. yes, I could (should) have figured that myself . I tried many different settings and got very bad curves, but now I got the feeling of tuning and it all works fine. See new curves attached.

Finally I can start testing to find new modern transistors which are close to old transistors in 70's amplifiers. The curve below is just playing, but the example search is to find modern substitutes for the 2SC1212A (driver transistors for a 1975 Kenwood amp). The Japanese transistor manual (2009) says 2SC3421, and of course the good old 22D669 comes to mind (or BD137/139). The 2SC3421 comes in Y and O ranking (I got Y rank), hence I can now check if the O ranking (lower Hfe) is the one to get. The 2SD699 is not as good, and comes in so many different ranks, as this test shows (AC rank = crap, or I got counterfeits ?).

Super tracer !

And the 2SC3421 seems to be a VERY linear device.... very interesting....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2SC1212A #3.jpg (109.9 KB, 223 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!