DIY Curve Tracer for PC - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2012, 07:05 AM   #91
diyAudio Member

Now that an increasing number of us will receive and start using this device, I suggest that we start collecting comments for improvements in an organised way (to support locky_z and ourselves), instead of potential 1000 posts incoherently following up each other.

Possible split of dedicated subjects:

- Circuitry (flaws, errors, recommended improvements, etc.)
- uP programming (not sure if required, or if locky_z wants to)
- PC software (visual interface, options, translations, etc)
- User Manual development (good translations, contents, options, export, etc)
- Excel import templates for easy yet advanced curve plotting and computing
- anything else?

Perhaps it would be an idea that each subject has a forum member occupying himself about the various inputs from others, collecting all the input in an organised way, and/or developping that subject ?
Old 21st February 2012, 07:23 AM   #92
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpliFire View Post
Now that an increasing number of us will receive and start using this device, I suggest that we start collecting comments for improvements in an organised way (to support locky_z and ourselves), instead of potential 1000 posts incoherently following up each other.

Possible split of dedicated subjects:

- Circuitry (flaws, errors, recommended improvements, etc.)
- uP programming (not sure if required, or if locky_z wants to)
- PC software (visual interface, options, translations, etc)
- User Manual development (good translations, contents, options, export, etc)
- Excel import templates for easy yet advanced curve plotting and computing
- anything else?

Perhaps it would be an idea that each subject has a forum member occupying himself about the various inputs from others, collecting all the input in an organised way, and/or developping that subject ?
Briliant idea
I am game for the translation to Italian if needed.
Old 26th February 2012, 09:46 PM   #93
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Fred,

I read somewhere in this thread that you have mentioned some of the components that Lock_Z used in the tracer are used one. I do not doubt that the units will be fully functional and work fine. However, every component has a certain life time. I do not think people would entertain the idea of replacing components after relatively short period of usage. Granted, even new components could fail but the probability is much lower. IMHO, let's ask Lock_Z what would be the increase in cost if new components are used. If the cost difference is not high (e.g. 20%-30% more), I personally think using new components is the better way to go. To me, that would be a small cost to hedge against the risk associated with the reliability of the unit that we are going to get. I do not mind prepay for the unit so that Lock_Z can have the capital to purchase parts required.

The above is just my personal opinion. No flaming please

Regards,
Old 27th February 2012, 06:09 AM   #94
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo_Tse View Post
No flaming please
Hmmmm.. this is gonna be hard..... but I'll try...
... even though I already said that this GB was take it or leave it, and that I would not go through the hassle of modifying the product.

Quote:
Fred,

I read somewhere in this thread that you have mentioned some of the components that Lock_Z used in the tracer are used one.
That is correct (that's in the GB thread): all Relays, Power transistors and some of the ICs. Some are on sockets and can be easily replaced. Some others would require a bit of desoldering, but nothing is impossible

Quote:
I do not doubt that the units will be fully functional and work fine. However, every component has a certain life time.
That one is debatable... and I'm no expert.. so I don't want to enter this discussion (even though I'm ready to bet that none of the 40+ units will fail within the next 10 years if properly used.... I think it's more an issue with slow drifting of some of the characteristics in time)

Quote:
I do not think people would entertain the idea of replacing components after relatively short period of usage.
Nor do I... ! and I think we are all convinced that new components would be a little bit better

Quote:
Granted, even new components could fail but the probability is much lower. IMHO, let's ask Lock_Z what would be the increase in cost if new components are used. If the cost difference is not high (e.g. 20%-30% more), I personally think using new components is the better way to go.
"Better way", depends for who.... those who ever organized a Group Buy would understand what I mean.... 40+ people.. each I have to send a reminder 3 times in average to get the full contact details (and that's just Name, Address, Phone number, Payment option)...... then I have to organize the purchase and shipping

What you propose makes perfect sense, but that is a totally different topic... not a Group Buy anymore, but a new project that I have to discuss with Locky_Z, agree on new pricing, etc , etc...

Believe me .. I've already plaided this cause with Locky_Z, but doing all this in chinese is no easy task for a french man....

I have decided to organise the GB with the existing product anyway, for which Locky_s has parts in stock, etc etc... and is already in the process of building them !

And at current price and time already spent on this GB, I dare say that I wouldn't be very pleased to have to ask 40 people what option they would prefer again....

'nuff said.... (hope you won't feel I flamed you .. at least if was not the intent...)

I might give it a thought and try to discuss again with Locky_Z (who I know reads this thread and might also give it a thought), but I'm a bit reluctant to be honest...

Cheers

Fred

Last edited by Lazybutt; 27th February 2012 at 06:12 AM. Reason: try to write in proper english...
Old 27th February 2012, 06:14 AM   #95
diyAudio Member

To add to above post.. I'll also discuss with Locky_Z to determine which of the components can be changed without any impact on calibration parameters, and which ones would require a recalibration.

Fred
Old 28th February 2012, 03:10 AM   #96
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazybutt View Post
Hmmmm.. this is gonna be hard..... but I'll try...
... even though I already said that this GB was take it or leave it, and that I would not go through the hassle of modifying the product.

That is correct (that's in the GB thread): all Relays, Power transistors and some of the ICs. Some are on sockets and can be easily replaced. Some others would require a bit of desoldering, but nothing is impossible

That one is debatable... and I'm no expert.. so I don't want to enter this discussion (even though I'm ready to bet that none of the 40+ units will fail within the next 10 years if properly used.... I think it's more an issue with slow drifting of some of the characteristics in time)

Nor do I... ! and I think we are all convinced that new components would be a little bit better

"Better way", depends for who.... those who ever organized a Group Buy would understand what I mean.... 40+ people.. each I have to send a reminder 3 times in average to get the full contact details (and that's just Name, Address, Phone number, Payment option)...... then I have to organize the purchase and shipping

What you propose makes perfect sense, but that is a totally different topic... not a Group Buy anymore, but a new project that I have to discuss with Locky_Z, agree on new pricing, etc , etc...

Believe me .. I've already plaided this cause with Locky_Z, but doing all this in chinese is no easy task for a french man....

I have decided to organise the GB with the existing product anyway, for which Locky_s has parts in stock, etc etc... and is already in the process of building them !

And at current price and time already spent on this GB, I dare say that I wouldn't be very pleased to have to ask 40 people what option they would prefer again....

'nuff said.... (hope you won't feel I flamed you .. at least if was not the intent...)

I might give it a thought and try to discuss again with Locky_Z (who I know reads this thread and might also give it a thought), but I'm a bit reluctant to be honest...

Cheers

Fred
Hi, Fred,

First of all, I would like to express my gratitude (I am sure the other 40+ people too would) to you in setting up this GB. I fully understand that a lot of work (and patience) is required and hopefully, there will not be too many hicups.

I really appreciate your direct and honest responses to my comments. They are valid. No flaming at all. The main reason that triggered my comments is that Lock_Z is going to put in a lot of "elbow grease" and time to fabricate all the boards (my understanding is that he is a "one-man factory") - if we have to pay him the labour cost, it is going to be expensive (not to mention the design effort that he put in). So, I am glad that he is not asking us to compensate him for that (at least not all of it). Then, why don't we get the most out of this GB and pay a little more and use all new components.

Thank you again for organising this GB.

Regards,

Lo_tse
Old 28th February 2012, 05:41 AM   #97
locky_z is offline locky_z  China
diyAudio Member

Because of one chip ( M62359 ) has been unable to find new,

Even if the other components are all new, also can not be called new, so some components(in not key position) I use the old elements.
Old 28th February 2012, 12:05 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locky_z View Post
Because of one chip ( M62359 ) has been unable to find new,

Even if the other components are all new, also can not be called new, so some components(in not key position) I use the old elements.
Lock_Z,

Thank you for joining the discussion. Well, if some of the key components are on longer available, my suggestion becomes a moot point. Let's move on and get the GB going "as-is" then.

BTW, thank you for offering this GB.

Regards,

Lo_tse
Old 2nd March 2012, 06:44 AM   #99
diyAudio Member

locky_z

Me happy with board (just make this clear to start)

Just one question because of my box

Can I replace power transistor to put them on side of board for different heath sink.

Is calibration to be re made?
Old 2nd March 2012, 07:56 AM   #100
locky_z is offline locky_z  China
diyAudio Member

You can replace them.

replace transistor not need calibration.
Only replace some resistor and opamp will calibration.

Hide this!Advertise here!