want to become nelson pass, john curl?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Last edited:
Please, I have hundreds of technical books in my library. I wish that I could afford more, but like Wavebourn, I keep trying to sell books that I don't need. Just this morning, I tried to sell 'The Scientific Papers of James Clerk Maxwell' Dover edition, to a colleague, BUT he already had it on his bookshelf, for example.

I could find only ONE direct reference of Willy Sansen in the book. He is NOT listed in the index, and is only mentioned once, under 'data converters' as a contributing author. The same level of attribution was given to Gabor Temes and Leon Chua, both people that I learned more from by personal exchange. This book is inappropriate for MY needs. Your needs may be different.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I could find only ONE direct reference of Willy Sansen in the book. He is NOT listed in the index, and is only mentioned once, under 'data converters' as a contributing author. The same level of attribution was given to Gabor Temes and Leon Chua, both people that I learned more from by personal exchange. This book is inappropriate for MY needs. Your needs may be different.

I agree to that one, it's not in my interest sphere either. But anything from Chris Toumazou makes me think about new ways to do things. He's very fluent in current conveyors. Open loop, wide band, very linear, defined transfer without nfb. You should look into those.

jd

Hmm. Chris Toumazou, Barrie Gilbert, the giants. Why must such a book cost $350??

Edit: ... and the mob around Willy Sansen from Leuven, plus some names I don't recognize. And 1000+ pages. Ok, $100. ;-)

Amazon.com has it in paperback at $125, although hardcover is $375.

To the original poster, books are only a start to becoming a guru. One reads them, yes, and learns from those who have gone before, but all the gurus I know got that way by building once they're gotten their book knowledge, and (this is important) relentlessly re-examining their handicraft. If you never find a mistake, you're either playing it too safe or deluding yourself.

Malcolm Gladwell states that expertise comes after (roughly) 10,000 hours of practice. This applies to writers, hockey players, software engineers, and musicians, for a few examples, with the constant being the 10,000 mark across the board. See more at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outliers_(book). Chuck Jones made the same point in his autobiography Duck Amuck, when his art teacher said: "You have 100,000 bad drawings inside you before you find the good ones. Your job is to get them out as quickly as possible."

Besides, the world contains many wonders so learning never ends. Your true teacher (guru in Sanskrit) will keep playing because, as knowledge expands, so does its perimeter. As Newton said: "I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."

It takes certain amount of hours to get a diploma, but it does not guarantee the end result will be a real "Design Engineer".
If an engineers still thinks in terms of some rules of thumbs, like 10,000 or 9,001 hours, he/she can't be called a design engineer, but may be useful for development process where standards must be strictly followed.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
In my opinion you can never read too many books or learn too much. I have the book that Wavebourn offers for sale and I think it’s a good book.

What makes a real design engineer is the ability to be creative and use all the knowledge to make something new and not copying an old design.

You can never be a new John Curl or a Nelson Pass, but create something new and you can be yourself.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.