Are crimp terminal alter performance? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2009, 09:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Are crimp terminal alter performance?

Hi, there,
I have a strange question. Can crimp terminal degrade the sound quality.
I build two amplifier prototypes (tha shame design, board, pcb components) for a
friend of mine. The first with not good
quality signal, power, speaker cables, but with not crimps and the other with
ofc (oxygen free) cables everywhere but with crimp terminals everywhere. My friend is very experianced
audiphile with very good and sensitive speakers, Generally I trust him. Comparing
the two prototypes he insists that the first is far better than the second. So are crimp
terminals degrade the sound? Any comment, experiance, knowledge are welcome. I have added
crimps for good but I am afraid I have to rework the amp.
Attached Images
File Type: png crimp.png (26.2 KB, 247 views)
Old 2nd September 2009, 10:22 AM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I have used similar crimp terminals.
I habitually solder after crimping.
Then bend over the cable grip.

Is there a way to get the cable grip tangs to pierce the insulation?
Old 2nd September 2009, 10:35 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply.

I also soldered the wire and the terminal after crimping but what about the actual male - female contact. This is I am woring (contact capacitance, not perfect contact, ...) I do not know really
Old 2nd September 2009, 10:40 AM   #4
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

You should not solder crimped contacts if it got crimped OK. I properly crimped contact forms a airtight joint.
Old 2nd September 2009, 10:43 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Which contact you mean, contact between cable and terminal or between male terminal and female terminal. I soldered the first.
Thnx
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:00 AM   #6
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Peranders,
the crimp lugs are very thin and simply fold over the bared wire.
They do not have sufficient stiffness to give a rigid crimped joint and can never give the air tight joint that a proper thick walled tube type crimp terminal would give.

They may not be designed for soldering but it sure is easy to do and gives a permanent air tight joint.
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:43 AM   #7
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Maybe the issue is the fancy cables, specifically the input screened cable could be causing issues if it's highly inductive or capacitive. Similarly the output cable could be an issue if it's inductance is high. Have you a photo of the wiring layout?
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

No I am afraid I do not have right now, but anyway rhe input cable is an OCC one wire cable with dielectric.!!!
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:51 AM   #9
acid_k2 is offline acid_k2  Italy
diyAudio Member

If crimp terminals are new (not oxidated), there are virtually no capacitance and no contact resistance. They have a bad contact only if oxidated, or there is a small or normal oxidation, and only a small current flowing. Avoid using in small signals (amplifier input).

I suspect your friend doesn't like crimp terminal... audiophile guys are strange...

Or your amps are not identical... caps and other small things degrade the sounds more then a good terminal.
Old 2nd September 2009, 12:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_k2 View Post
If crimp terminals are new (not oxidated), there are virtually no capacitance and no contact resistance. They have a bad contact only if oxidated, or there is a small or normal oxidation, and only a small current flowing. Avoid using in small signals (amplifier input).

I suspect your friend doesn't like crimp terminal... audiophile guys are strange...

Or your amps are not identical... caps and other small things degrade the sounds more then a good terminal.
Agreed!

ALL the aircraft flying around the world use crimps almost exclusively - more reliable long term than solder. IF it is done correctly!

Hide this!Advertise here!