Are crimp terminal alter performance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, there,
I have a strange question. Can crimp terminal degrade the sound quality.
I build two amplifier prototypes (tha shame design, board, pcb components) for a
friend of mine. The first with not good
quality signal, power, speaker cables, but with not crimps and the other with
ofc (oxygen free) cables everywhere but with crimp terminals everywhere. My friend is very experianced
audiphile with very good and sensitive speakers, Generally I trust him. Comparing
the two prototypes he insists that the first is far better than the second. So are crimp
terminals degrade the sound? Any comment, experiance, knowledge are welcome. I have added
crimps for good but I am afraid I have to rework the amp.

Attachments

• crimp.png
    crimp.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 323
Peranders,
the crimp lugs are very thin and simply fold over the bared wire.
They do not have sufficient stiffness to give a rigid crimped joint and can never give the air tight joint that a proper thick walled tube type crimp terminal would give.

They may not be designed for soldering but it sure is easy to do and gives a permanent air tight joint.

If crimp terminals are new (not oxidated), there are virtually no capacitance and no contact resistance. They have a bad contact only if oxidated, or there is a small or normal oxidation, and only a small current flowing. Avoid using in small signals (amplifier input).

I suspect your friend doesn't like crimp terminal... audiophile guys are strange...:D

Or your amps are not identical... caps and other small things degrade the sounds more then a good terminal.

If crimp terminals are new (not oxidated), there are virtually no capacitance and no contact resistance. They have a bad contact only if oxidated, or there is a small or normal oxidation, and only a small current flowing. Avoid using in small signals (amplifier input).

I suspect your friend doesn't like crimp terminal... audiophile guys are strange...:D

Or your amps are not identical... caps and other small things degrade the sounds more then a good terminal.

Agreed!

ALL the aircraft flying around the world use crimps almost exclusively - more reliable long term than solder. IF it is done correctly!

@kzeprf22: you could also trace the signals in both amps with a distortion analyser

@cliff: crimp terminals are used in airplane and car because there are a lot of vibrations, and a solder joint is mechanically weak. Vibrations help to keep the contact surface free from oxide and dust. Amplifiers is a bit different... unless you use it in a automotive environment :spin: .

First, there are crimp terminals and then there are crimp terminals, not all are equal.
The crimp tool is much of the story. The tools must be adjusted and calibrated at regular intervals.
OT: Do not solder/tin wire the wire ends when using screw terminals. The solder will cold-flow with temperature changes and the terminal will loosen.
Terminals are not soldered after crimping. As this will create a hard spot and vibration will cause the wire strands to fracture at that point.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Is there a way to get the cable grip tangs to pierce the insulation?

Hi Andrew,

Have you tried sharpening the tangs and using a crimper to bend them down instead of just squishing them with pliers (or whatever)? Might work, but sharpening them is a lot of effort.

Piercing the insulator also introduces air into the strand bundle allowing for some potential oxidation which might cause problems down the road.

..Todd

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
My friend is very experianced
audiphile with very good and sensitive speakers, Generally I trust him.

Hmm... a Greek Audiophile... I saw a video about them once. I thought the turntable stand was 50% of the sound?

Seriously, a 'very experienced audiophile' is, in my opinion, usually someone who has carefully developed an acute sensory imagination and obtuse quantum theories.

..Todd

Last edited:
Finally, I reworked all the AMP. My mistake was that for quick release issues I had everything with crimps. From power (DC AC) to speakers (from amp board to protection board to output sockets). Anyway I have them all now directly soldered.
I tested in my environment and yes is sounding different from before, more open.
Anyway I don want to sound guru or something it just sounded to me a little better. I do not know the degree but it was quite noticable. I will deliver to him and I will see his impresions

Tyco Electronics - AMP MATE-N-LOCK series multipole connectors, offers pcb headers either with male or femalle gold plated contacts, as well free cable housings with gold plated crimp pins or sockets. Current rating is 15A, so can be used in all power points.
For small signal cables, Molex offers simillar headers - crimp housings with gold plated contacts.
I attach you a pdf doc. to look the details of a MATE-N-LOCK.
For Molex small headers-crimp housings, take a look in Farnell or RS Components site.
Take a look and in the site of Selectronic.Fr which offers a lot of parts for Hi-Fi or Hi-End use, like gold plated terminals, solder tags etc.

Fotios

Attachments

• AMP 350761.pdf
    61.3 KB · Views: 70
Crimp type faston (blade type push-on) terminals on speakers degrade the sound quite a bit, even on new speakers.

I always cut them off, strip the wire, and solder direcly to the speaker terminals.

I've compared amplifiers that had Caig De-Oxit applied to all the push-on terminals inside an amplifier, a large difference may be heard in high-frequency clarity.

I've cut off all the internal push-on connectors in some models of McIntosh amplifiers and picked up a lot of clarity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.