Are crimp terminal alter performance? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2009, 02:00 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=djk;1917466
On the speakers the difference is in the low level details, the silence between the notes, and the dynamics.[/QUOTE]

For my own peace and mind tonight I tried a crimp on terminal and a soldered joint on my speaker connection.
According to my scope and spectrum analyser there is zero difference.
Old 7th September 2009, 02:42 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Copper oxide was used long time ago in rectifiers. I personally owned an AVOhmmeter that used such a device to measure AC, it was called Cuprox Rectifier. Also, cuprox rectifiers were used in battery chargers. However, such devices in signal path will cause non-linearities. Oxidized copper contacts cause crossover distortions that don't bother listeners of rock music, but kill natural reverberation and decay of strings.
Old 7th September 2009, 07:07 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

For my own peace and mind tonight I tried a crimp on terminal and a soldered joint on my speaker connection.

How about testing after one year?

Gajanan Phadte
Old 8th September 2009, 07:50 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djk View Post
"A good crimp connection is as good as, and often better than a soldered connection. "

Listening tests prove otherwise.

"I have to submit crimp samples periodically, which are checked for both mechanical security and electrical conductivity (millivolt drop test)."

Funny, Boeing is real particular about how the equipment we build for them be SOLDERED. The people that SOLDER them have to be tested and re-certified every couple of months. I've taken the SOLDERING class for the connector pins Boeing uses, it would be much simpler if they would allow us to crimp them.

But,
we are discussing how soldered connections SOUND vs how crimp connections SOUND, and I have done many listening tests and SOLDERING wins, hands down.

That would depend on the equipment and application. For speakers, I still prefer a good quality crimp over a soldered connector any day. For speaker connections, I would suggest that if the crimp and soldered connections measure the same, they sound the same. In speakers, the security of the connection is just as important as the electrical conductivity.

Chris.
Old 8th September 2009, 08:14 PM   #35
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmphadte View Post

How about testing after one year?

Gajanan Phadte
If both are well done you _should_ not be able to hear or measure the difference. But it is easy to make a poor solder connection or use poor quality crimps. But if done corectly both are good

The difference is mechanical. But if we are talking about home speakers I doubt it matters as they are in a clean environment and not subjected to mechanical stress. If these wires ran under the floor of a commercial fishing boat you might see a difference after a year but inside a wood box in your living room, not.

For home hifi use the reason you use connectors is for serviceability. I used crimp on ring terminals and screw terminal blocks so that I can change out a transformer not because it makes a reliable connection.
Old 8th September 2009, 08:19 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
How often do you change transformers Chris, and how often do you change drivers in your speaker boxes?

I can understand mass production of a gear that is already planned to be upgraded 1-3 years later, but why should you prefer crimps when you build something for yourself, to keep it forever?
Old 8th September 2009, 09:00 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
How often do you change transformers Chris, and how often do you change drivers in your speaker boxes?

I can understand mass production of a gear that is already planned to be upgraded 1-3 years later, but why should you prefer crimps when you build something for yourself, to keep it forever?
Personal choice I guess. I also find it easier to crimp rather than solder in the confines of the speaker cabinet.

Chris.
Old 8th September 2009, 11:54 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Some of the connectors that we have been writing about are not crimp connectors. They are compression connectors! Now I'm not to sure about what the exact differences are, but the connector manufactures do make the distinction.

Hide this!Advertise here!