DENON AVR-2800 No sound from any channel. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2009, 10:09 AM   #1
mrfix90 is offline mrfix90  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DENON AVR-2800 No sound from any channel.

Denon amp that I am trying to repair. It was working fine suddenly it stopped. No more sound. Once in a while comes on , if the receiver is on for sometimes. I am not sure what to change. I guess it is in output stage. Do I have to change the output transistor or it just some kind of relay?

when I turn the receiver on, the power/standby light blinks 7 or 8 times and ralay clicks. But no sound. Please give some input so that I can fix the amp. I am really into it. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 31st August 2009, 02:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Check for DC on outputs.
One of the channels has DC due to some faulty component.
AV receivers tend to get very hot and some resistors get open-circuit.
Old 2nd September 2009, 06:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioDIYer View Post
Check for DC on outputs.
One of the channels has DC due to some faulty component.
AV receivers tend to get very hot and some resistors get open-circuit.
Old 2nd September 2009, 06:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

so problem might be because of resistor? The thing it is just intermittent. Sometimes if I keep it on for a while sound comes back. And than sound becomes scratchy...like skipping cd and than cuts off ..no sound.
Old 2nd September 2009, 09:38 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I learned to always check potentially faulty resistors and capacitors...
You may also have problems with any transistor..

Can you measure the voltage at output? Ant DC present?

Try this:
use a 'spare' speaker with a >20 Ohm resistor and a large bipolar capacitor in series. this way any DC will be blocked to the speaker.
If possible, get an cold air spray and put a little of it on each transistor. If there is no difference, spray on resistors starting from output.

Another thing to check: connect a working amplifier to the input of the amp modules of your AVR. If the sound is there and clean, the problem is the module, if not, you can have problems with other part: digital volume control.. maybe not

If you have the service manual, send me a copy and I'll show where to start.
Old 2nd September 2009, 12:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

does the display stay lit? if so, have you tried changing surround modes. if you want to bypass the DSP, put it in EXT IN mode and feed signal in through the EXT INPUT jacks on the back. if it works fine that way, you probably have a problem with the DSP board or one of the power supplies feeding it. +/-15V regulators are a common failure item in Denons
Old 25th July 2013, 07:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have one with the surround & center channels not producing any output. I checked and all outputs transistors have negative and positive rail voltage (+/-52vdc) but am only getting sound/output from the two front channels.

Any ideas?
Old 25th July 2013, 08:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

my have solved the issue. Now both channels work. My receiver was dusty , so I cleaned all the knobs and put some lubricant on the balance knob. Now both side had output. I bought the received used and I think it was sitting for a long time collecting dust.
Old 25th July 2013, 08:54 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanious2011 View Post
I have one with the surround & center channels not producing any output. I checked and all outputs transistors have negative and positive rail voltage (+/-52vdc) but am only getting sound/output from the two front channels.

Any ideas?
check the setting from the menu. I think the receiver is set not for two channels, stereo mode. Put it on dolby digital or any other mode. It should work. Check also if the receiver is set to bypass on or off.
Old 25th July 2013, 09:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I've gone through the Dolby Digital and the other setting and still no sound from the surround and center channels. I don't have the user manual so its a little difficult understanding which setting to use, but I've used pretty much all and same results.

All the outputs tested good, so don't know if its the DSP board that's not processing the surround and center channel.

I sure don't want to trash it, especially knowing its repairable. I sure wish I could find a free service manual for this model.

Hide this!Advertise here!