Solid state tube?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Carpenter, in your attached schematic in post # 11, can't the input Mosfets be types with lower input capacitance than the IRF630s? What about BS170 and BS250? I forget which is N and which is P type but I remember using one of these in a Guitar preamp; when used for music input, it exhibited a very warm, tube like sound.

For scaled down guitar amp triode+xformer (pp) outputs and "triode circuits" in general I've used a neat little feedback circuit with JFETs (2SK223 mostly), basic concept shown below. The output characteristic is pretty triode-like, and the basic sound as well. Don't know if it's good for HiFi, never tried (since it was deliberately designed to give specific distortion and overall sort of triode-like features).

- Klaus

Attachments

• fetron-triode2.gif
    fetron-triode2.gif
    18.9 KB · Views: 255
Samuel Jayaraj said:
Carpenter, in your attached schematic in post # 11, can't the input Mosfets be types with lower input capacitance than the IRF630s? What about BS170 and BS250? I forget which is N and which is P type but I remember using one of these in a Guitar preamp; when used for music input, it exhibited a very warm, tube like sound.

Thanks for the tip. :)

Edit: I've modified R13 from .47 to .25 ohms. That means the little IRF630 mosfet is passing 5.5 amps. Obviously, a small signal transistor won't do the job in this particular situation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.