diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Solid State (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/)
-   -   Op Amps ... (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/150304-op-amps.html)

Borat 30th August 2009 01:53 PM

Op Amps ...

Is using a high-end op amp for gain stage an acceptable practice in an ultra-high-end amplifier ?

is the practice mostly avoided out of snobbery or are there actual downsides ?

if there are downsides are these subjective or measured ?

also if ther are downsides how can we explain what causes them ?

peranders 30th August 2009 01:55 PM

Burning questions! :flame: They have no answers I'm afraid. It's like discussing religion or politics.

EBM_dude 30th August 2009 01:59 PM

My theory is, that one should try to use only as much things in the way from the source to the power amp as possible. The more parts in the way, the more errors could be introduced to the sources signal.This is just based on my thoughs, I have no scientific stuff done to prove my point.

Borat 30th August 2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peranders (Post 1910312)
Burning questions! :flame: They have no answers I'm afraid. It's like discussing religion or politics.

you know what they say in the military - bad decision is better than no decision :D

Borat 30th August 2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EBM_dude (Post 1910316)
My theory is, that one should try to use only as much things in the way from the source to the power amp as possible. The more parts in the way, the more errors could be introduced to the sources signal.This is just based on my thoughs, I have no scientific stuff done to prove my point.

and what does that tell us ?

what is more things in signal path - 1 op amp or a bunch of transistors ?

EBM_dude 30th August 2009 05:22 PM

An op amp basically consits of a bunch of transistors and each of them can introduce noise... I think an op amp as a chip will introduce less noise than an op amp consisting of the same number of transistors.

I just re-read my post and noticed I messed up that sentence. I wanted to say:
"My theory is, that one should try to use only as few things in the way from the source to the power amp as possible. "

Rafael L 30th August 2009 10:58 PM

Usually those who advocate, amplifiers with low negative feedback, not use op-amp

nigelwright7557 30th August 2009 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat (Post 1910310)
Is using a high-end op amp for gain stage an acceptable practice in an ultra-high-end amplifier ?

is the practice mostly avoided out of snobbery or are there actual downsides ?

if there are downsides are these subjective or measured ?

also if ther are downsides how can we explain what causes them ?

A class AB amplfiier is just a discrete op-amp.

Borat 30th August 2009 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafael.luc (Post 1911758)
Usually those who advocate, amplifiers with low negative feedback, not use op-amp

well op-amps do use tons of NFB ...

but can anybody actually hear the sound of an individual op-amp ?

i mean can anybody reliably tell an op amp ( with gain set to zero ) from straight wire in double blind testing ?

EBM_dude 30th August 2009 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat (Post 1911763)
i mean can anybody reliably tell an op amp ( with gain set to zero ) from straight wire in double blind testing ?

I don't know. I think I should give it a try on my gainclone with some op amps I have around.