who makes amps that theoretically should sound best ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
^
He is dead on.

Borat,

I'm afraid what you may be trying to graple with here is the fact that expensive amplifiers and speakers with impressive distortion numbers are not necessarily the best sounding. Even sound (forgive the pun) engineering does not necessarily guarantee the best sound. In fact, there is no best sound.

On these forums you will find plenty of examples of people using few watts with efficient speakers and being very very happy with them. I'm one of them. The only truth is to do it yourself and find out what you like best.

Ok let me rephrase.

Let's say you were given a contract by NASA to build the best sounding amp. You were given a team of engineers to supervise. You were allowed to use any devices ( transistors, tubes, op-amps etc ) that were currently in production and you would be allowed to make custom transformers and heatsinks. there would be no size, power or cost limits.

what kind of amp would you build ? and what logic would you use to build it ?

Already dunnit. Twice:

Vixen Main Schemo

Le Renard Main Schemo

Now, where's my NASA contract. :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
My secret NASA project...
Perhaps two differing (and narrow) ultra-sonic sound beams could be directed at each ear so that a pair of beams meet at each ear. Although the beams would be ultra-sonic the difference between them when they coincide would make an audible sound. The beams would be directed to follow the listener wherever they were in the room. As such only the listener would hear the audible sound, and the room would remain silent for everyone else. (Apple; take note!)

Perhaps two differing (and narrow) ultra-sonic sound beams could be directed at each ear so that a pair of beams meet at each ear. Although the beams would be ultra-sonic the difference between them when they coincide would make an audible sound. The beams would be directed to follow the listener wherever they were in the room. As such only the listener would hear the audible sound, and the room would remain silent for everyone else. (Apple; take note!)

What you describe, is a weapon that was made long time ago for military. :D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

That's not secret. That tech has been floated over & over again as new. I heard a demo by Seimens at the 99 AES in NY... left me with a very uncomfotable feeling.

dave

Had a friend once who claimed to have built a thin, vertically vaned radiator, with many vanes, and all with enough radiation emitting material down the middle of them to strongly ionize the air between them. He then passed a signal through the vanes and created extremely efficient sound. Claimed five watts was enough to hit 140 db plus at all frequencies. Also claimed it to be highly directional and a dipole.

I did see the device, stripped of ionizing materials. It looked very well made and he did have contacts in the military industrial complex, as he sold a radar amplifier of some sort to the Navy and was quite well off from it.

Might have been a lie told to a gullible young man, might not.

Bud

That's called hypersound...

http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fiction-News.asp?NewsNum=376

Hugh Dean (AKSA here) talks about the science of harmonic distortion, IE catering to the ear's own distortion (or whatever..). Theoretically, even harmonics are benign and cause softer sound, whereas odd harmonics can cause the illusion of clarity. Monotonically decreasing harmonics are said to be optimal and there should be as little HF components as possible (IE no harmonics trailing to the FFT horizon...). High feedback tends to upfold the early harmonics and make them trail into the hundreds of KHz, making for harsh sound.

I haven't listened to an AKSA or any other of his amps (yet) but Hugh seems to know what sounds good, and can point you to the research done by early audio pioneers.

This is his site:

http://www.aksaonline.com/

If you don't have the money for his expensive ones, the AKSA itself is relatively cheap but is audiophile approved if you look at this page:

http://www.avhub.com.au/NewsArticle.aspx?MagazineID=5&NewsArticleID=1273

Not meaning to advertise for Hugh, but I thought this was relevant and a good answer to the name of this topic.

- keantoken

All Hugh amplifiers are great!

Guarantee of satisfaction.... if you like "tube alike" sonics, not all that thunder bass other amplifiers makes, if you want astounding sound stage and special trebles..then go to Aspen Amplifiers and search for the 55.

Old Aksa 55, in my point of view is the best amplifier ever made.

I have several models, but the one i like the most is the Aksa 55.

If you fix an elected amplifier and them go searching speakers to match, the 55 is the best option, even better than several amplifiers i have made, and some of mine was inspired in his designs, a great guy he is.

Amplifiers does not play alone.... other amplifiers can produce excelent sonics too when well matched with decent speakers.

We can fix a speaker and go to search amplifiers, or the opposite.... fixing amplifiers, the Aksa, the fifty five, is the best option.

Fixing the speakers..well...this way i cannot suggest nothing...maybe Planet 10, or Rabbitz, will be able to help... fixing speakers..having selected a model..then you may like or not the Aksa...maybe other model match your needs.

Only one had complained..and i have strong suspections the guy is not entirelly sane in his mind.... hundreds of others, maybe more than a thousand, are satisfied and go loving deeply their Aksa amplifiers...i know several folks that has other amplifiers, very famous brands, but insist and confirm the 55 is the best unit they have.

There are several secret parts under the board, modern boards have even SMD, so, do not even waste the time to copy...Hugh use to protect his schematic.

There are several confused schematics around, and no one of them are the real one..the ones buy Aksa protect the circuit, a gentleman agreement.

This picture was made by Rabbitz, and he has more Aksa models too, and i could see he has one that was a "beta tester" unit with some modifications in a small board...Hugh is always researching.

Listen his words..copy his texts...there are intructions there!

The image shows the Lifeforce 55, the first main modification into the 55 Nirvana plus.... this one is excelent too, but i love the 55, the old one, with Nirvana kit.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Aksa 55 - pic from Rabbitz.jpg
    Aksa 55 - pic from Rabbitz.jpg
    696.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Poli iso butilêno?... is this a glue compound Wavy.

Is that contact cement you are talking about?

Ah!... fix speakers?... maybe you're kidding...i said to keep one selected speaker and then go replacing amplifiers.

Or keep one selected amplifier and then go replacing, switching, changing, speakers.

Sorry my Indian English.... forgive me.

I am a very good Indian speaker

Me good!

regards,

Carlos

There's no perfect amplifier or speaker...or i could not find the one...the perfect one...Aksa is the best, but no one, even Aksa, is perfect.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.