simplest and cheapest sub amp >250W?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have looked and looked... so I thought I'd ask all of you who know of more places to look than I do. I have searched the forums, and Yahoo, etc. and the best I found was a 90WRMS@4ohm amp using four 2N3055. If I paralleled more, I could get my power... but that costs much more than I wish. I looked at the 300W power amp on ESL, but I cannot order his board since I am in the US and do not use Paypal. (ne credit card... both a blessing and curse) Parts cost for that amp is not bad at all, but I have never done an amp like it- I usually only work with opamps. It looks fairly simple... I just don't know if I am prepared to build an amp of >15 parts. Think I could? :dead:

Anyway... this will be for subwoofer duty... really heavy sub duty. It will see a LOT of action, and will need to have a lot of power. I cannot reslly afford a high VA tranny... but may recheck the list. I guess I would need 500Va or more... for continuous 300W, with higher peaks. I thought about paralleling two 240VA trannies I found for cheap. Would this work?

The power limits for this amp should be: >250WRMS, <650WRMS.

I thought about paralleling a lot of OPA541s... would this turn out better than a transistor type?

Thanks for any ideas/opinions, etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.