Bryston 4B is highend system?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
we have a discussion about studio systems and highend systems.so Bryston 4B is highend system?someone tells studio systems very sensitive and better than highend systems which we use our home.ıt's challenge to other marantz,denon...etc sytems?

regards

Last edited:

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Bryston 4B's seem to have a bad rap here. Especially the original model (non ST or SST). But they were the defacto standard touring and recording studio amp when I was a recordin/concert engineer many moons ago (throughout the 80's). I never had any complaints about them, but we never really had the chance to compare different amplifiers. It never occurred to us, and we generally had to use whatever was supplied to us.

I have 4 of them now! The sound company I used to mix concerts for unloaded them (into my beckoning forklift) when they adopted class D amps to take advantage of the [much] lighter weight and less heat.

Construction-wise, the supply caps are under-sized by today's standard: 10,000 uF per 73VDC rail using 8 output devices per channel. The EI transformers are 500VA per channel.

I'll be converting some of mine to other circuit designs (Quasi N, DX turbo, whatever else fits), but reuse the same power supply (new caps of course), chassis, heatsinks, etc. I'll keep at least one stock as a comparison control - also with new caps.

All this after the neverending freakin home renovation is finally done. :headbash:

..Todd

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.