Did someone clone an Electrocompaniet AW amplifier?

IMO, that old AW75 is the best sounding amp EC ever made.
I'm not so fortunate to hear an AW75 or to compare it to other EC amps, but if something is so damn good why someone would modify it.
I presume that EC amps evolve thus a design that is 10 years older might have some minor flows that had been addressed in newer ones like the AW60 or AW70. Of course it might be just marketing hype, they have to come out with newer models after 10 years. Maybe I would tell the difference between AW75 and AW70, but that's another story :rolleyes:

I'm not so fortunate to hear an AW75 or to compare it to other EC amps, but if something is so damn good why someone would modify it.
I presume that EC amps evolve thus a design that is 10 years older might have some minor flows that had been addressed in newer ones like the AW60 or AW70. Of course it might be just marketing hype, they have to come out with newer models after 10 years. Maybe I would tell the difference between AW75 and AW70, but that's another story :rolleyes:

I don`t know why they stopped making the AW75, it had a clearer less muddy sound than their newer amps.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
I don`t know why they stopped making the AW75, it had a clearer less muddy sound than their newer amps.

I sure dont know what you on about, I own some electrocompaniet amps, Aw250 and as of 3 months ago a pair of Nemos, all purchased secondhand . The AW250 is excellent amp with fav reviews around the world.
Now when we get to the Nemos youre are on another level, its one of the best amps Ive ever heard at any price, right up there with Krells, Pass amps, ect.

I sure dont know what you on about, I own some electrocompaniet amps, Aw250 and as of 3 months ago a pair of Nemos, all purchased secondhand . The AW250 is excellent amp with fav reviews around the world.
Now when we get to the Nemos youre are on another level, its one of the best amps Ive ever heard at any price, right up there with Krells, Pass amps, ect.

I havent heard the Nemos, but i know the aw250DMBr and the older aw250DMB very well. The older aw250dmb has amazingly good lows but not as good highs as the aw75.

and not the AW70

Compare the schematics of the other models, they're not all that different.

Then take a look at the amp board of the AmpliWire220, the monoblock version of the AW70.
(an EyeFi magazine review of the AW220 is available at the ElectroCompaniet home page)
The pretty thing about EC amp boards is that all stages are usually nicely grouped together. (for ease of recognition)
Same story for the AW220 board, the input amp stage and the main amp sections are clearly separated areas on the board. (as far as we know, they might still even employ zero ohm wire links for ease of production)

If you count the number of easily identifiable TO92 and TO126 devices in the 2x2 amp stage islands on the board, plus the 2x3 TO126s next to the output devices, the AW70 likely has the input stage of the AW120 combined with the main amp section of the AW75 et al.

Considering the rough water difficulties that EC has encountered in the 1990s and early 2K years, major topology changes would have been unlikely.
YMMV. :clown:

Compare the schematics of the other models, they're not all that different.
This is telepathy :) 2 hours ago I had a look on the schematics of AW75, AW100 and AW120 and had the same thought that indeed they are very similar. Actually the output stage of the newer AW120 is basically the same with the AW75, AW100 and ECI-1 (some resistor values differ).
The input stage is indeed slightly modified but the concept is very similar to them, so I'm almost sure I wouldn't tell the difference between AW70 and AW75.

I am affraid, that none of newer constructions are any published
Fortunately on Andy Pairo's site there is the AW120, which is not so old (EC still sells them).

For domestic use in a 20-30m2 room 70W would be more than enough for me, I don't want to blow my neighbors.
If nobody has the AW70 I might give a try for the AW120.

I meant after 2004 or so.

I would be interested to clone a small-medium power Electrocompaniet amplifier like the AW 65, AW 70 or AW 75

Did somebody clone any of these? and can help me with the schematics, pcb and build info (or any of these :))

Thanks in advance!

theoretical this amplifier topology must be one of the best of the world. I have heard and modify much of the AW series (mostly different versions of AW-100 resp. Ampliwire 100).
All amplifier are good sounded devices. But compare to other, easier concepts (e. g. Pass A40) not really significant better sonic quality. And compare to the circuits (last 10 years) from Mr. Nelson Pass (www.passlabs.com) definitly bader. Because the complexity of the whole circuit I cannot recommend selecting just the Electrocompaniet circuits for a replica resp. clone.
Please note, that 90% of the whole sound quality influence comes from the quality of power supply (Caps, transformer), the earth wire management and the location of all units in your enclosure.

If you build your amplifier, it would be at best, to planning dual mono concept and separate cabinets for power supply unit (like cyrrus I/II + PSX) For very good sounding amplifier circuit I would prefer the "First Watt" or the wide variation spectrum of "X" topologies go to www.passdiy.com and www.passlabs.com for learning the basic instructions and the philosophy.

Reactions: 1 user
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
theoretical this amplifier topology must be one of the best of the world. I have heard and modify much of the AW series (mostly different versions of AW-100 resp. Ampliwire 100).
All amplifier are good sounded devices. But compare to other, easier concepts (e. g. Pass A40) not really significant better sonic quality. And compare to the circuits (last 10 years) from Mr. Nelson Pass (www.passlabs.com) definitly bader. Because the complexity of the whole circuit I cannot recommend selecting just the Electrocompaniet circuits for a replica resp. clone.
Please note, that 90% of the whole sound quality influence comes from the quality of power supply (Caps, transformer), the earth wire management and the location of all units in your enclosure.

If you build your amplifier, it would be at best, to planning dual mono concept and separate cabinets for power supply unit (like cyrrus I/II + PSX) For very good sounding amplifier circuit I would prefer the "First Watt" or the wide variation spectrum of "X" topologies go to www.passdiy.com and www.passlabs.com for learning the basic instructions and the philosophy.

Sorry I totally disgree with this, its a matter of taste, saying that a pass amp is better is very wrong, whether its the sound or the circuit, I ve pitted a pass x600 against my nemos, out of 22 listeners the score was up 18 against 4 for the nemos. I m more sceptical, for chamber music I found the pass amp had a slight edge probably because of it being a class A and play soft passages more cleanly but Im a rocker and sorry but this Pass amp just didnt cut it when the music became complex and loud, even compaired to a old 1980s pioneer topology circuit amp I m developing they lacked true punch and life of the recording, the nemos make you feel you there at the concert.

Sure, but whatever amp I might build this statement applies.

I agree that a small power class A design is much simpler then a higher power more complex class AB and at low levels their sound are comparable. Indeed there are some really nice amps at First Watt but I'm afraid my speakers are not sensitive enough for a low power class A amp.
With speakers having 91.5dB in a small room it might be enough but in a larger room or listening at higher levels they wouldn't. Needless to say I will not change my speakers for the sake of the amp :)

The reason why I choose the EC is that I need a good sounding, moderate power 70-100W, class AB design (biased to run up to 10-15W in class A), which will not double my electricity bill. I know there are some diy amps here in the forum that meet this criteria and can compare with the EC but I want to try the EC.

In a Romanian forum I found a guy who built the AW120 couple of years ago and hopefully he can help. I will come back with details...