LEAK stereo 70 cutting out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Leak stereo 70 which cuts out on the left chanel between 12 oclock and 1 oclock. If I reduce the volume a fraction, or increase it a fraction it is fine, it cuts out on the left chanel only, it just goes dead. When turning the volume up and down quickly there is a faint crackling on the left chanel when its dead, otherwise it sounds superb. I have my cd player running through the tape monitor switch to take the tone controls out of the loop too. Any ideas ?

If the pot is an open type, try spray WD40 into the pot.
And before everbody starts :smash: :headbash: at me, this was a trick I got from Rob Flain at QUAD Audio.
Used it on my old QUAD 34 pre 7 years ago, and there has never been a problem since (seems almost as a one time cure) :)

It depends on why the pot has gone faulty.
If the pot track is simply worn out then no amount of WD40 will fix it, it needs replacing.

If some dust or hair has got under the wiper then WD40 will probably blow it out.

If the pot is an open type, try spray WD40 into the pot.
And before everbody starts :smash: :headbash: at me, this was a trick I got from Rob Flain at QUAD Audio.

I've been using WD40 professionally for decades now, it's FAR better than so called 'switch cleaners', particularly on pots.

It's very rare for a pot to be worn out, and a quick squirt of WD almost always provides a long lasting cure.

I had a Leak Stereo 70 for years, great amps - I only replaced it because I bought a three head cassette deck and it didn't work very well with it. Over the many years I had it, the Leak got used for disco's, guitar's, all sorts of things :D

I've been using WD40 professionally for decades now, it's FAR better than so called 'switch cleaners', particularly on pots.

It's very rare for a pot to be worn out, and a quick squirt of WD almost always provides a long lasting cure.

I had a Leak Stereo 70 for years, great amps - I only replaced it because I bought a three head cassette deck and it didn't work very well with it. Over the many years I had it, the Leak got used for disco's, guitar's, all sorts of things :D

For home use pots usually last the life of the equipment as they are rarely tweaked.

I run a mobile disco and the crossfader is being used for hours on end.
This means they dont last long. This is why they are usually a module that be easily be replaced.

For home use pots usually last the life of the equipment as they are rarely tweaked.

I run a mobile disco and the crossfader is being used for hours on end.
This means they dont last long. This is why they are usually a module that be easily be replaced.

Cross faders seem particularly bad, I know they get a LOT of use, but surely they could use a better quality one that would have a decent life?.

Back in the 70's I designed and built a mixer for a band I was doing the PA for, and the guy who was funding it bought these cheap faders. We built the mixer, and it worked fine, but within just a few weeks the faders started to get noisey. I ordered high quality faders from RS Components, and we replaced them all - never had a problem with them again.

Incidently, I've got a disco mixer somewhere in pieces, that I was given, and (if I recall correctly) the fader module is missing. This assumes I haven't thrown it away :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.