lm3886 no mute option

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No mute for LM3886

Be careful...as I read the data sheet, to disable the mute, you must pull at least 0.5 mA from the mute pin. You probably don't won't to pull a whole lot more than 1 mA. There is a note and equation that describes the resistor value you should use.

Attachments

• mute.gif
    mute.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 144
Be careful...as I read the data sheet, to disable the mute, you must pull at least 0.5 mA from the mute pin. You probably don't won't to pull a whole lot more than 1 mA. There is a note and equation that describes the resistor value you should use.

The datasheet shows a cap across the MUTE input and a resistor to a switch.
You dont need the resistor or the switch for none mute mode if I read the data sheet correctly.

pin8 open circuit leaves the Mute function ON. This mutes signal from the output.

Pin8 needs current (~1mA) to turn Mute function OFF. This allows full signal from the output.

One can permanently connect a resistor from Pin8 to Vee but the amp will switch ON, on power up and may produce a start up noise as the circuits come alive.

pin8 open circuit leaves the Mute function ON. This mutes signal from the output.

Pin8 needs current (~1mA) to turn Mute function OFF. This allows full signal from the output.

One can permanently connect a resistor from Pin8 to Vee but the amp will switch ON, on power up and may produce a start up noise as the circuits come alive.

You could add an RC network to hold off the amp on power up.

it is working great, I put a 10k resistor between 4 and 8, powers up fine. Thanks guys.

I am having an issue though. I am using this power amp coupled to a tube preamp. I can't turn my volume past 2. If I do the amp cuts out. I am assuming I am putting too much of a load on the power amp. Could I couple these together with maybe a 470k resistor to try and remedy the issue?

The preamp is http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schemview.php?id=507

Hi Rtill,
what is the gain of the pre-amp?
What is the gain of the power amp?
What is the attenuation of the pot at position 2?
What is the load on the power amp?
What is the supply voltage to the power amp?
You have to give us some information if you want us to be able to offer informed advice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.