V-fet Repair of a WEGA V4810 solid state heaven - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2009, 05:51 PM   #21
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakmeel View Post
Hey Hemuth, that looks like a job well done! I hope your amps are sounding well now... It seems they do ;-)

I especially like the good craftsmanship on the wooden side panels. How did you get the high gloss and keeping the dust away while the paint dries? I always get small specs of dust when trying to do a high-gloss paint job.
Hi Bouke,

How are your Passlabs amps playing?

The sound of the V-fet amp is a real exceptional nice transistor for audio, they meet most the straight amplifying characteristic of a Triode tube. And the strange thing is it really has the warm low sound of a tube amp although it has a damping factor of 40. Compared to a Mosfet the V-fet has less capacity on the gate and is there for less dependent on frequencies.

It started out to have a nice vintage set, and now I have a very rear V-fet Wega version of the rear V-fet sony TA 5650 and ST4950. http://www.thevintageknob.org/VFET/VFET-main.html
There are a lot of V-fet fans around but you have to be 50 years plus to have known the introduction and end of the V-fet 1974 to about 81.

It is on solid state what comes the most close to tubes.

About paint

There is always dust in the paint. I sprayed them outdoor you can spray the environment with water to prevent dust.
The real professionals sand of the last dust and bums, and after that they polish them again to get the real piano gloss finish. I tried that but did not get a good result you have to know the right tricks I guess.

Result after one can of varnish.
Click the image to open in full size.

Result after sanding and second can of varnish.

Result after sanding and third can of varnish.

I already have a new project I managed to buy a Graetz Profi 306 (1975-1978) the receiver my father hat in the seventies and I became the audiophile-bug by it. I play it now as second set it sounds great. The electronics are very conventional and very nice build. The selector switches a dc voltage that superponates the selected input on the preampstage, so no bad audio contact!.

Regards Helmuth

Last edited by Helmuth; 24th September 2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 24th September 2009, 08:19 PM   #22
miklos is offline miklos  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks Helmuth, very educational. I refurbished my 5650 about a year ago and now in the process to fix a 4650, with the V-Fet's from HK. I wonder if the batch numbers 53/52 won't be a problem? I assume you got the same kind of transistors as I got.
Old 24th September 2009, 08:55 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miklos View Post
Thanks Helmuth, very educational. I refurbished my 5650 about a year ago and now in the process to fix a 4650, with the V-Fet's from HK. I wonder if the batch numbers 53/52 won't be a problem? I assume you got the same kind of transistors as I got.
Hi Miklos,

Yes I got,

The 2SK60 are from the same ranking 52, and the
2SJ18 are from the same ranking 53 too.

Bought on ebay.

Works good on my amplifier, only there is some difference in the right channel set, the left bias was stable the right drifted more when the ballast was on for a longer time. So I would wait for more then 3 hours and check the bias again.

Cheers Helmuth
Old 25th September 2009, 03:31 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your reply, I will post my experience.
Old 25th September 2009, 04:12 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Here's a picture of the TA-4650 PA board, recaped and cleaned in the shower, with the four defective V-Fet's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Recaped2sm.jpg (248.6 KB, 219 views)
Old 25th September 2009, 04:52 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Hi Helmuth;

your avatar looks very similar to my current bass guitar combo prototype that I keep in secret.
Old 25th September 2009, 12:12 PM   #27
Bakmeel is offline Bakmeel  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Hi Bouke,

How are your Passlabs amps playing?

(....)
Regards Helmuth

They're doing great! Fantastic powerful, rich sound. Lots of control over the bass and very good placement. have you seen the results on the final build thread?
Final pics are here: Aleph 2 - The Final Build
Old 25th September 2009, 03:21 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Here's a picture of the TA-4650 PA board, recaped and cleaned in the shower, with the four defective V-Fet's.
In a normal situation only one end stage is defective so all the fets defective is strange. Are sure you did the diode test? The V-fet measures short with out negative gate voltage.

@Wavebourn

It is a La Scala.

@Bouke

Good to hear your labour payed back at the end, the build looks professional perfect to the detail. When is the party to celebrate it

Regards Helmuth
Old 25th September 2009, 04:53 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Yes I did, it was a relatively cheap amp, I paid $65 on the Bay. The seller said it's needing repair, but one channel is working. It turned out non was working, for obvious reasons. Now it is not cheap anymore. I have some V-Fet experience, I fixed my 8650, 5650 and built a class A amp with the 2SK82.
My first ever Class A amp.
Old 25th September 2009, 10:35 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes I did, it was a relatively cheap amp, I paid $65 on the Bay. The seller said it's needing repair, but one channel is working. It turned out non was working, for obvious reasons. Now it is not cheap anymore. I have some V-Fet experience, I fixed my 8650, 5650 and built a class A amp with the 2SK82.
My first ever Class A amp.
Cool design that hybrid amp Miklos.

Regards, Helmuth

Hide this!Advertise here!