What would YOU do with this transformer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2009, 10:22 PM   #1
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

Default What would YOU do with this transformer

I'm just lookin for ideas...

I have a pair of 44VCT Plitron transformers that look like 700-1kVA judging by the physical size. They suggest a class A amplifier project, but with 30+ VDC rails a class A amp would require more heatsink than I am willing to buy, lift and suffer the home heat with.

What else makes sense?

..Todd
Old 21st August 2009, 10:37 PM   #2
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

Put 'em in series and build a Leach (or similar power level) amp which will double into 4R and darn near again into 2R.

They wouldn't happen to the the 'Phast Microsystems' trafos, would they? I have 3 of them left. I think they were supposed to be for a 6x LM3886 amp.
Old 21st August 2009, 10:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Are there choices on how to wire up the primaries to give you other secondary voltages?
Old 21st August 2009, 10:46 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
A bridged amp would be fine, with plenty of output power.
Old 21st August 2009, 11:34 PM   #5
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

Good input. Keep the ideas coming...

wg_ski: I have a couple of Leach variations already, but the general idea is worth considering for other amp circuits that use 60V rails. I'm sure there are a few circuits here that qualify. (DX Precision I think; Citation 16 clone; a Quasi Nxxx).

I'm not sure where I got these transformers, it was a couple years ago, from some surplus sale somewhere.

Tosh: I can't recall if these have dual primaries. I'll look when I see them next. But if I use them in 220V mode on my 110v power, I'd end up with ~15VDC rails. That's pretty low for an amplifier.

Wavebourn: Another good idea. My DIY speakers tend to be low impedance (4-ohm-ish) so a bridged amp would be a bit stressful on the all the hardware (I think).

..Todd

Last edited by taj; 21st August 2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 22nd August 2009, 12:07 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taj View Post
Wavebourn: Another good idea. My DIY speakers tend to be low impedance (4-ohm-ish) so a bridged amp would be a bit stressful on the all the hardware (I think).
What do you mean? Still the same current, the same power, like in case of non-bridged one, but with +/-60V on rails. And you can use cheaper lower voltage devices there, including filtering reservoirs.
Old 22nd August 2009, 12:12 AM   #7
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
What do you mean? Still the same current, the same power, like in case of non-bridged one, but with +/-60V on rails. And you can use cheaper lower voltage devices there, including filtering reservoirs.
I guess I don't understand that configuration. Can you give more basic details or show me a simple diagram?

..Todd
Old 22nd August 2009, 12:21 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taj View Post
I guess I don't understand that configuration. Can you give more basic details or show me a simple diagram?
2 identical amps per channel, phase splitter on input, speaker between outputs.
You may use a line input transformers to get counter - phase signals, and get balanced inputs so no ground loops will be possible.
Old 22nd August 2009, 12:36 AM   #9
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

I understand that part. Isn't a 4-ohm load impedance a problem in that configuration? (2-ohm for each amp circuit?)

How do you configure the power for 60v rails and still use lower voltage parts? There's something basic I'm not understanding. Maybe I just need more sleep. It's Friday.

..Todd
Old 22nd August 2009, 12:45 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Actually, there are 2 amps working with +/-30V rails each, in counter-phase, with a speaker between their outputs. For speaker's side it looks like it is driven by an amp with +/-60V rails, so 200W/channel is easy. That means, 6 Amp peak current is needed. The same, like in case of a single power amp with +/60V rails.

Hide this!Advertise here!