TrickyTransfrmers-2windings for sub amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello
This is what im getting 2x100 into 4ohm amp kits,

bridged into 200watts into 8ohm.

my problem is :

i saw a toroid advertised-300VA 28/28v, 5.3A

(((Each amp kit is reccomended 28/28 2.3A)))

i went in the store,and it has 5.3A per coil,(2coils)on the secondarys,
does this mean i can stil use it/

i dont know much about power supplies themselves..

im more of a subwoofer article reader..time to change focus abit..

Am i correct in assuming the current needed wil be double for 2 bridged amps?

Thanks

mikee12345: You can use transformers rated at higher currents than those specified in the specifications for the amp. All this means is that the power supply will have more capability to deliver whatever current the amp demands, therefore most likely improving the overhead transient performance of the amp a bit.

Generally it's nicer to use higher current power supplies than you need since your amp will generally sound better. The real reason they specify a current rating for the amp power supply is because this is the minimum supply that will provide the amp with sufficient power at full output. The bigger your supply is, the better. The only thing you need to be specific about in the power supply is voltage, too much will fry the amp, too little will make it weak and distorted.

I hope this helps clarify your problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.