Adding an amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howdy all.....I am building a sound system for my laptop. Its a nice little bundle. Peerless 3 in drivers driven by a t-amp. Ported Tangbang 6.5 in driven by a dayton audio 100 watt plate. Added to this is an Aurasound subsonic transducer driven by a 150 watt homebuilt amp.
Being an in your face system, sitting in front of my PC, it is a wonderful audio experience. The detail in these "in-expensive t-amps" is surprising. Anyway to my question. I want to make a passive volume in front of all the amps. I wish to tie in to the output side of my volume with 2 amps using 4 rca jacks, 2 for each side. What impact will having to amps hooked in parallel to my line level pot? I am assuming that if the input impedance on the amp is 10k then my combined impedance will be 5k. In parallel with a 100K stereo pot.
Am I at least in the ball park with this thinking?

Thanks
Glenn

If you want to control the stereo volume to two speaker amps, plus the volume to a mono subwoofer/transducer, you at least need a dual pot and a passive sum network with resistors to feed the sub a combined mono signal.

If you want to sum the signal to mono to feed the sub, trying to do it passively might work, but you're going to lose some signal, possibly channel separation, and further load the driving source in the process. You might roll off the highs and degrade stereo imaging.

In general, an active solution is likely to outperform a passive one (at least when properly done). That's especially true when you don't know the output impedance of your source (the laptop). But if you're using the headphone jack it's probably fairly low.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.