Les - Sage Audio - New Revelations - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2010, 05:35 PM   #11
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

@ wjlamp

Hi, and thanks for posting

Your cousins trip to York to purchase 2 SuperMos modules is a very interesting story indeed. Please don't take ANY of this the wrong way, but i must ask.

I'm wondering why your cousin on your behalf, went to all that expense and time, when you could have had the Amps posted to you, or to your cousin, a lot cheaper than a return train ticket from Wolverhampton to York ? Also i'm surprised that Les agreed to send someone to York to do that. The last i knew he lived/worked about 35 miles away from York, but of course the lady you mentioned could have lived nearer to York ? But this would still mean some expense/time/inconvenience etc for her to do all that. It was very good of Les to agree, and her as well, but it just seems so unnecessary, and very unusual. What was the particular reason it was arranged in such a way, and was it Les's suggestion or yours ? Can you understand my valid points ? I hope you can.

It's great to hear that the amps are still working as of day one, and with the sound quality you describe, and how much pleasure you still get from them. Yes, if Les was able to get the performance he obviously did, using a mixture of selected and some standard components, good for him. As you might know from my previous posts, Les had his reasons for doing what he did !

Which of the SuperMos modules do you have ?

Regards,

Zero D
Old 23rd August 2010, 07:57 PM   #12
wjlamp is offline wjlamp  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero D View Post
@ wjlamp

Hi, and thanks for posting

Your cousins trip to York to purchase 2 SuperMos modules is a very interesting story indeed. Please don't take ANY of this the wrong way, but i must ask.

I'm wondering why your cousin on your behalf, went to all that expense and time, when you could have had the Amps posted to you, or to your cousin, a lot cheaper than a return train ticket from Wolverhampton to York ? Also i'm surprised that Les agreed to send someone to York to do that. The last i knew he lived/worked about 35 miles away from York, but of course the lady you mentioned could have lived nearer to York ? But this would still mean some expense/time/inconvenience etc for her to do all that. It was very good of Les to agree, and her as well, but it just seems so unnecessary, and very unusual. What was the particular reason it was arranged in such a way, and was it Les's suggestion or yours ? Can you understand my valid points ? I hope you can.

It's great to hear that the amps are still working as of day one, and with the sound quality you describe, and how much pleasure you still get from them. Yes, if Les was able to get the performance he obviously did, using a mixture of selected and some standard components, good for him. As you might know from my previous posts, Les had his reasons for doing what he did !

Which of the SuperMos modules do you have ?

Regards,

Zero D
Hi

it was not exactly like that. My cousin,was studying Hydro-Biology in Wolverhampton,and the last day of the semester,he was free prepairing for his return,and the next year he was going to study here,because his expenses were huge.(He returned to England after 16 months and stayed 2 more years)
That was the day that I called him on the phone and broke to him my news of ,NOW must have them.(I know that I was and still be in the lunatic fringe of audio scene).Being the good guy he is, and so goes for me too, he took the trip to York,and then, with a taxi to Bingley. He made all the arrangement with Les,while he was still in Wolverhampton.Les understood the reason and accepted.Plus that in my cousin's account were 250 pounds, leftovers after purchasing a Rega RB 300 tonearm
That is why he went to pick it up.

My modules are the Supermos 1ooW,being driven ,each one, by a 500VA, toroid,and 66000 uf per channel. A friend of mine made some measurements,some time ago,and he was thrilled.The little beast was pumping a stable 300 w into 2 ohms impedance speaker, not resistor.for about a minute before the fuses went to the fuse heaven.He had an oscilloscope too,and the results he was taking left him thrilled also.He told me that this beauty, was the best amplifier in its class that he ever layed hands on.
You must understand of course that most of his words,were nuclear physics for me,at the time.And he was good.He was running the biggest electronic service lab in Athens,LUXOPHONE. I remember one day, he was visiting,for the evaluation of a pair of speakers,fresh off the press,made by yours trully,back,in 1986 ,he told me that he was trying hard to exclude even one of the big reputable names in audio,that hadn't been on his bench for service.He said that a good 95 percent of them was crap.
Several years later he made a revolutionary amplifier,modular,pro and home, I remember him joking with me about the Supermos,telling me to find a good wooden box and bury them,because I was going to take a sound trip to Pluto and back again,because of his amplifier, and he was ready to ship the first batch,in Italy,where his bussines liaison was,the man with the black nightgown,took him by the hand for the long journey home.
Unfortunately

That was my experience with Les,the Supermos,and my friend.

Memories sweet and sour.

Best regards and thank you for sharing

B.L
Old 24th August 2010, 01:47 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi.

Quote:
it was not exactly like that. My cousin, - he took the trip to York,and then, with a taxi to Bingley. He made all the arrangement with Les,while he was still in Wolverhampton.Les understood the reason and accepted.
Well that's a bit clearer now thanks. Yes Bingley is where he lived, and he also used a seperate shared maildrop center with other small companies, located several miles away in Bingley town. I went there with him once to pick up some mail as he didn't drive, at the time. The center was staffed by one girl/lady but that wasn't his wife/gf. I presume that's who your cousin met. You must have been really keen to get those amps, with the return train fare, and return taxi charges etc. Must have cost a few £ But worth it

Quote:
My modules are the Supermos 1ooW,being driven ,each one, by a 500VA, toroid,and 66000 uf per channel.
Thanks

Quote:
A friend of mine made some measurements,some time ago,and he was thrilled - .He had an oscilloscope too,and the results he was taking left him thrilled also.He told me that this beauty, was the best amplifier in its class that he ever layed hands on.
That's all very encouraging.

Quote:
Memories sweet and sour.
Indeed.

Thanks again for the extra info,

Regards
Old 24th August 2010, 11:33 AM   #14
wjlamp is offline wjlamp  Greece
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=Zero D;2281498]Hi.

Well that's a bit clearer now thanks. Yes Bingley is where he lived, and he also used a seperate shared maildrop center with other small companies, located several miles away in Bingley town. I went there with him once to pick up some mail as he didn't drive, at the time. The center was staffed by one girl/lady but that wasn't his wife/gf. I presume that's who your cousin met. You must have been really keen to get those amps, with the return train fare, and return taxi charges etc. Must have cost a few £ But worth it

Hi,

not only worth it.It was an ear opening experience. Like removing the cork off a bottle. Coupled to the Stan Curtis System A preamp,my first diy audio revelation,it was outlandish ,for me, then. And with not so much of an expense,compared to the ready made amps,of my fellow weirdos.

B.L

Last edited by wjlamp; 24th August 2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: extra lines
Old 11th December 2011, 02:42 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hello All..
Another Supermos addict hereÖ
Here is my story. Skip the first few paragraphs if you just want the technical stuff!
I had dealings with Les back in the day as I tried to set-up a hobby business importing the SMOS II (into New Zealand) and building amps for people. It was always doomed to fail (ahh the innocence of youth!) but was good fun.

I bought the modules and was amazed how good they sounded. I had them paired up with various KEF reference speakers and they blew away every amp I could compare them with (Perraux, Plinius, Krell ETI etc). The difference was not subtle. As a result I got a few orders and got about building amps. Everything was good until a pattern of failure began to emerge. Even operating the modules well below their stated max of +/- 75V was no guarantee of reliability. I corresponded with Les about the matter but he fobbed it off as me doing something wrong. Eventually I got a letter from his lawyer stating he had passed away and there would be no further development or support.

One interesting thing I did discover (at this point) was that the modules created AM interference at around 850Khz. Les didnít have much to say about this when I enquired. I doubt this was the fundamental freq, but it was there. Maybe there is something to this HF oscillation mentioned elsewhere?

Like others I got about de-potting the modules to discover their secrets. After the initial disappointment of what I discovered I couldnít deny their audible performance so carried on.

To cut a very, very long story short I DID get around to making PCBís and building them up from scratch. It worked, but sounded awful. I didnít have access to a distortion analyser but my ears told me all I needed to know. As quite a few years had passed by this point I gave up and went valve. It was the only way I could get that big open sound!

Having now viewed the schematics elsewhere I definitely had a few things wrong. Namely the different devices in the input pair and various resistor values here and there. A couple of other observations were that the potting was important (for DC stability) and the matched output devices were also critical (N to P maybe). No sign of an etched inductor either by the way.

Lesís mysterious ways remain J
Old 30th January 2012, 03:27 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

@ triplej

Hi, & thanks for posting

I'm sorry i missed your post until today

Quote:
(ahh the innocence of youth!)
Indeed

That's great to hear how impressed you were with the sound. Not so good to hear about the failures though. I've had a feeling for some time that, this "might" have been due to him using Open trimmer pots, rather than than sealed ones. It's "possible" that some encapsulation material found it's way into them whilst potting, & over time made then unreliable ?

Quote:
modules created AM interference at around 850Khz.
That's the first time i've heard that, & very interesting !

Quote:
No sign of an etched inductor either by the way.
It may have been on later models only, but i DID see it.

Could you please PM me his lawyers name and address etc, as i would like to try & contact his ex wife.

TIA
Old 2nd February 2012, 09:42 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks for responding Zero D. I was beginning to think no one cared

I will have a look for that paperwork.
Old 7th February 2012, 12:19 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

@ triplej

Quote:
Thanks for responding Zero D. I was beginning to think no one cared
Not everyone knows about Les & his SuperMos amps etc

Quote:
I will have a look for that paperwork.
Great & thanks, i hope you can & will PM when you do
Old 7th February 2012, 10:42 AM   #19
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero D View Post
@ triplej

Not everyone knows about Les & his SuperMos amps etc

Great & thanks, i hope you can & will PM when you do
I do, when I was a teenager building japanese kit amps I used to see the adverts in the magazines and wished I could get one of these to try but they were out of reach for my pocket money.

Im looking forward to see if anyone can put up a full schematic or just partly (I could figure out the rest) of the last version of this amp, maybe Ill try a build some 25 years later.
Old 7th February 2012, 11:33 AM   #20
PChi is offline PChi  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I also bought one of the Sage Power Amplifier Modules out of curiosity and made a mono power amplifier case out of aluminium sheet forming the bends around bits of wood. I wired up the power supply connections exactly as per the instructions. At low power levels it drove a loudspeaker OK but when connected to a dummy load and tested on the bench the amplifier could be seen to be unstable with high frequency oscillations and very soon after failed. I removed some of the potting compound to look at the PCB but didn't go to the effort of finding out the circuit diagram. I am impressed with the posters that did reverse engineer the circuit.

I vaguely remember that Sage Audio offered a low distortion Oscillator but can't remember the details.

Hide this!Advertise here!