SWR t-shoot question
i have a question about an odd thing my Bass Amp Head started doing. I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this. If so, any advice on the subject would be awesome. I will try to explain as best i can but if you need more details, please feel free to ask and i will do my best to answer any you have.
in a nut shell, unit still powers up and has sound but it sounds as if the gain is maxed or at full gain all the time , which make the amp not sound as it once did. Any idea of what this may be???
Is this a repair that will be expensive?
any details anyone has would be very helpful.
here is a lil more info after additional testing
the pre gain knob goes from being in what seems to be lower volume(no red light is on and the output seems normal) to all of a sudden, maxed. the red light above the gain knob comes on and there is a loud pop. I have also noticed the highest band eq slider seems to feel a lot looser than the other sliders and moving it can also make the pre gain pop and light up the red LED above the pre gain.
If i were a guessing man, my guess is that there may be a problem with the slider, maybe it has a short in the slider itself?
or, it could be in the pre gain section itself. What im gonna try next is to use the FX loop on the back and that will bypass the preamp section and maybe help me narrow down where the problem is coming from.
either way i need to look at the slider on a component level and possible replace it from the PCB.
I guess i will know more when i open it up. Still looking for anyone that has any info they can share with a similar experience.
Well i was right about what i thought. After opening the head up, i could easily detect damage to the slider. If i were to guess, id say it was bumped hard in transport and it caused the slider mech to push thru the back. I desoldered it from the board and fixed the existing component with careful use of small hand tools. Once satisfied i had undone the damage, i checked the rating of resistance with my DMM, it still matched the rating printed on the component so i went ahead and reinstalled it, resoldered it, and then eventually tested the unit. So far, all seems fixed. It will take a full volume practice test to know for sure, but im very optimistic cuz it would not even get this far before in the testing. Im a little disappointed no one had any info to offer on this, but i figured id share my results in hopes of helping someone else with this problem, should it ever arise for them. Thanks and have a good one.
This is one of the problems of buying gear through the post.
Having said that even buying from a shop its likely to have been delivered by courier.
Sadly we are at the mercy of couriers......
|All times are GMT. The time now is 11:08 AM.|
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2016 diyAudio