2-channel set up dilemma

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, what are your thoughts on running a 2-channel amp, one channel on a 4 ohm 400W subwoofer and the other channel on an 8 ohm 150W Klipsch RC-3?

THE GEAR

I currently have two identical 2-channel amps that are rated for 200W per channel @ 8 ohms, 400W per channel @ 4 ohms, and 800W bridged @ 8 ohms.

I also have a preamp with a built-in 5-channel amp rated for 90W per channel @ 8 ohms(Pioneer Elite VSX-24TX).

THE SPEAKERS

I have a set of Klipsch RF-5 floorstanding towers rated for 150W @ 8 ohms(though the back says 225W @ 8 ohms) that I plan to run off both channels of ONE of my 2-channel amps at 200W @ 8 ohms.

I also have a set of Klipsch RS-3 surround speakers rated for 110W @ 8 ohms that I plan to run off my Pioneer preamp at 90W @ 8 ohms.

THE DILEMMA

That just leaves my center channel speaker(Klipsch RC-3 150W @ 8 ohms), my subwoofer choice (Brand "X" 400W @ 4 ohms) and my OTHER 2-channel amp.

I havent made any firm decisions on the subwoofer just yet. Im actually in the process of calculating and comparing some subs on WinISD Pro. Before I decided to introduce the sub I had the Klipsch HT set described above with the two surround speakers on each channel of one of my 2-channels(getting overpowered), my two floorstanding towers on each channel of my other 2-channel amp and my center channel speaker on the center channel of the Pioneer preamp getting an anemic 90W.

1. How should I make use of this setup without buying more equipment. Im trying to decide if I would be better off putting both my surround speakers and my center channel on the Pioneer preamp, leaving my floorstanders on one of the 2-channel amps and leaving the other 2-channel amp for a single or dual subwoofer box and powering it with both channels 400W @ 4 ohms or bridging it 800W @ 8 ohms. If I do this the surround speakers will be getting 90W of their 110W rating, the center will get 90W of its 150W rating and the floorstanders will get 200W of their 150W rating.

2. The other way to do it would be as described above by putting my two floorstanders on both channels of one of the 2-channel amps(150W=200W), my two surround speakers on the preamp(110W=90W), my center channel on ONE channel of my other 2- channel amp(150W=200W) and my imaginary subwoofer setup on the other channel of the 2-channel amp with the center(400W=400W). My concern with this setup is the difference in both the ohms and wattage load on that amp by running a center channel speaker and a subwoofer off the same amp on different channels.

What would you do?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.