Krell KSA250 issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone. New to the forum. hoping I can get some help with my problem. I have a Krell KSA 250 that I've owned for many years. Never had a single issue with it until now. I powered up my stereo the other day and while at idle, I heard a loud pop and the rig shut down. I traced the problem to the Krell. Everything else in my rig functions as it should. It will not turn on and the blue light in front won't power on which means a possible problem in the output. Sounded like a cap might have blown but there's no oil or smell. I took the top plate off and didn't see any obvious problem but it's hard to see the caps.

Krell wants me to send it to them. Problem is, I don't have the original box and an amp that heavy will cost a fortune to ship cross country both ways. Plua I would need to find someplace to pack it up to survive the journey.

I live in So. Cal and was wondering if there's any place that works on equipment like this that I could take it to. It's long since out of warranty so shipping back to Krell is not a priority.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks
-mark

mmorse,

I own a pair of KSA250s and I had to replace the main power supply capacitors and purchase a new power-up relay board from Krell for one. Pretty simple clean-up and repair.

If I was in your place, I would open up the top and look and sniff for obvious burnt or failed components.
Take a close look at:
1) all the emitter resistors on the output transistors
2) the main power capacitors - they have a rubber sealing plug
3) the power up relay PCB. This includes a high power resistor for power up surge current and a set of shorting relays.

Since it will not power up, the shared power supply could have failed, or the short/DC protection on one side shut down the main power.

If you do not see anything obivious, then check out a few service experts in SOCAL before picking.

Thanks guys. No way I could even begin to fix it myself. I don't have the tools or the talent. And Krell wants $277 plus shipping for a box and packing material. I find that a bit over the top for some cardboard and foam.

I'm also told not to use UPS or fedEx for something that heavy. The cheapest trucking quote I've gotten is $250 on way. At this rate, it's going to cost me a small fortune just to get it there.

That's why I'm exploring other avenues at the moment. So far I've not been able to find anyone within driving distance that works on Krells. May just have to dump it and go with something else. :(

I was told this is a common problem with KSA.

from HP of audio repair site
These develop a problem of one or both channels distorting, especially on low level signals. Krell used substandard filter caps on the driver board and this is the cause of the problem. We upgrade all the caps on the driver board with high-temperature low ESR caps and adjust the offset and bias.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.