Krell KSA250 issue - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2009, 05:06 PM   #1
mmorse is offline mmorse  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Krell KSA250 issue

Hi everyone. New to the forum. hoping I can get some help with my problem. I have a Krell KSA 250 that I've owned for many years. Never had a single issue with it until now. I powered up my stereo the other day and while at idle, I heard a loud pop and the rig shut down. I traced the problem to the Krell. Everything else in my rig functions as it should. It will not turn on and the blue light in front won't power on which means a possible problem in the output. Sounded like a cap might have blown but there's no oil or smell. I took the top plate off and didn't see any obvious problem but it's hard to see the caps.

Krell wants me to send it to them. Problem is, I don't have the original box and an amp that heavy will cost a fortune to ship cross country both ways. Plua I would need to find someplace to pack it up to survive the journey.

I live in So. Cal and was wondering if there's any place that works on equipment like this that I could take it to. It's long since out of warranty so shipping back to Krell is not a priority.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks
-mark
Old 28th July 2009, 12:43 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

mmorse,

I own a pair of KSA250s and I had to replace the main power supply capacitors and purchase a new power-up relay board from Krell for one. Pretty simple clean-up and repair.

If I was in your place, I would open up the top and look and sniff for obvious burnt or failed components.
Take a close look at:
1) all the emitter resistors on the output transistors
2) the main power capacitors - they have a rubber sealing plug
3) the power up relay PCB. This includes a high power resistor for power up surge current and a set of shorting relays.

Since it will not power up, the shared power supply could have failed, or the short/DC protection on one side shut down the main power.

If you do not see anything obivious, then check out a few service experts in SOCAL before picking.
Old 28th July 2009, 01:40 AM   #3
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Hello ,
My advice is If you cannot repair yourself , ship the unit back to Krell , i'm sure you can also purchase a box from them , they then can ship the box to you for shipping the amplifier ....

Regards,
A.Wayne
Old 28th July 2009, 04:25 PM   #4
mmorse is offline mmorse  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys. No way I could even begin to fix it myself. I don't have the tools or the talent. And Krell wants $277 plus shipping for a box and packing material. I find that a bit over the top for some cardboard and foam.

I'm also told not to use UPS or fedEx for something that heavy. The cheapest trucking quote I've gotten is $250 on way. At this rate, it's going to cost me a small fortune just to get it there.

That's why I'm exploring other avenues at the moment. So far I've not been able to find anyone within driving distance that works on Krells. May just have to dump it and go with something else.
Old 28th July 2009, 05:25 PM   #5
Sin Bin

You can dump it my way ...........................
Old 29th July 2009, 12:09 AM   #6
SQLGuy is offline SQLGuy  United States
diyAudio Member

You might want to check with Cullen Circuits. They're in Paso Robles (not sure how close to you, but at least in the same state) and they do repair work on a lot of older high-end amps.
Old 6th March 2010, 03:39 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Do you still have this amp? Did you fix it? What did you do to get it fixed? If it is still not working and want to sell, let me know. Thanks
Old 10th March 2010, 07:16 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

If you have not solved your problem yet contact Steve Leckrone at The Service Department. He used to be the service manager at Krell and I believe he knows a respected guy who works on Krell amps in California. I can't remember the guys name.
Old 7th April 2010, 12:06 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Any update ?

I have a distortion problem with my KSA and looking for a good guy in So Cal too.
Any update on your KSA
Old 7th April 2010, 12:40 AM   #10
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroscout View Post
I have a distortion problem with my KSA and looking for a good guy in So Cal too.
Any update on your KSA
DIstortion problem ? So why do you think it's malfunctioning ......

Hide this!Advertise here!