Right Subwoofer being "sucked in" when Amp is turned on. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2009, 03:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Right Subwoofer being "sucked in" when Amp is turned on.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can help. I just bought a used Alesis RA-100, and whenever I turn it on, my right subwoofer gets sucked in all the way. It seems like it's getting too much power or something. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 27th July 2009, 03:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

It is more likely that the DC offset voltage is relatively high in that channel.
Old 27th July 2009, 03:36 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jan Dupont
It can only be DC-offset causing this type of action.
Old 27th July 2009, 05:14 AM   #4
SQLGuy is offline SQLGuy  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Eddie,

Just to be clear, in case you're new to this, this is a pretty bad sign. It means the amp is in need of repair and could easily damage speakers it is connected to. Do not use it until it's been repaired. The problem with the amp itself could be as simple as one or two small transistors that are bad, or as complex as the whole output section blown.

Sorry for the bad news.

Paul
Old 27th July 2009, 05:37 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Is the woofer getting pulled in and it stays in, or does it just pull in and then relaxes back to normal?

If it pulls in and stays, then you have a serious problem.

If it pulls in, then returns to normal, then you may have a minor problem or it may be a fluke with Alesis amps (like a weird bridging turn-on spike only affecting one channel).

Either way, address it and correct it or you could lose your speakers.
"Believers cling to the myth despite the evidence, reinterpret the myth to suit the evidence, or lie about the evidence to support the myth." "To err is human; to blame errors on external factors is even more so."
Old 20th November 2009, 01:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have the same problem and i have had a channel blown on the amp and i was not turning on since i was staying in the protect mode. Now i changed 4 transistors and 2 rectifiers and the amp is turning on but the sub woofer is being pulled in and stays in. What else should i check apart from transistors??

By the way my amps's channel was damaged because it was turned on without any heat sink (therefore over heating)
Old 20th November 2009, 03:56 PM   #7
Spiny is offline Spiny  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Please disconnect the speakers! Use a meter to measure the offset, there is no need to attach speakers.
Once the source of the problem (driver transistors, Outputs, power supply etc ) has been found then test using a dummy load (8 / 16 ohm heavy duty resistor ) and make sure it is well before attaching your speakers.

Hide this!Advertise here!