don't throw away those old filter caps just yet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
strange request. I am a newbie in the DIY aspect of this hobby and am working on a project that calls for 2 13,000UF 75V filter caps or better. I am a cheapskate and hate to buy a couple and then find out my project is a no-go.
So, was thinking, I know when I changed all my filter caps, i just pitched the old ones (of course now I wish I didn't), so, was wondering if anyone happened to be changing out their filter caps, instead of pitching them, I could use a couple. Pretty much irrelevant the condition they are in, as long as they are not leaking - soon as I find out my project works, i will purchase the 22,000uf caps from Newark for $28.00 a piece.
Anyway, if u happen to have a couple of old caps and don't mind the hassle, give me a shout, would be much appreciated

I'm in tennessee ,too... and am about to recap a genesis stealth amp,the caps are good (8 x 10,000uf @ 80v and 16 x 3300uF @ 100v) . The owner wants it recapped even as the originals are still functional. If you want them - 2 weeks max till I order the new ones and begin recapping.
OS

Dead stereo receivers often have perfectly good filter caps in them. You can spot them in the trash for free. Especially in areas where students live, in particular at the end of school terms.

here is a suggestion. if you are building a project, you could buy a huge 22,000uf 75v cap for $28, or you could go with smaller caps and double them up. For example Mouser sells a 10,000uf 80v cap for $6.25. Stock #598-380LX103M080A052 Two of those in parallel makes a 20,000uf cap for only $12.50. Or three of them makes 30kuf for 18 bucks.

if you prefer Newark, I am sure they have similar selections.

Point being, sometimes two smaller parts is cheaper than one large one. ALso, if 75v is your target, don;t overlook options at 80 and 100v.

ok, 1st, i appreciate all of the responses. i do understand that I an use bigger caps, that is what i meant when I said better. I need them to be at least 13,000uf 75V. I would be more then happy to grab a pair of 30,000uf at 100V :)

Is good prices on the caps thanks. If I buy any, i am looking at the 22,000uf which is going to run me $50+, which is why i am hoping to pick up some used ones someone may be throwing away until I figure out if this is actually going to work, I could always just keep them as spares if it doesn't work out, but alas, my pocketbook says I should make sure all is well before I spend the money.

ostripper - I really appreciate the offer. I would prefer to just get 2 13,000 or bigger, just for simplicity sakes. But if nothing comes along when you pull those, i will gladly pay shipping and whatever it costs you for packaging - I really appreciate you offering to do that as it can be a hassle mailing things....
actually, I will be in Knoxville around Aug 9th or so, my daughter is headed back to UT - are you close to knoxville by any chance?
If you happened to be near UT, I could just pick them up if they are pulled by then.

Figures, i pitched the ones from when i recapped my Spec 2 and my crown DC300A II - those would have been perfect.
Is this forums fault - ever thought I would be trying to DIY my stuff......maybe watch the news to see if I burn the house down

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.