Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2013, 03:24 PM   #791
diyAudio Member
 
tiefbassuebertr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: D-55629 Schwarzerden
sine a long time Naim Audio order BjT audio power devices from Semelab:
http://www.acoustica.org.uk/t/naim/p...50ampboard.jpg
From there in the meantime are listed various types in different outlines - not mentioned about post #1:
Complementary Bipolar Power Transistors for High Power Audio
there are also this interesting application note:
http://products.semelab-tt.com/pdf/A...teBipolars.pdf
maybe of interest for repair service on vintage power amp stages from Japan and U.S.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 03:27 PM   #792
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Italy
I understand why they can use them, naim output stage is a quasi-complementary and the N parts looks quite ok, while the "complements" are much worse (almost HALF Ft!)
__________________
"The total harmonic distortion is not a measure of the degree of distastefulness to the listener and it is recommended that its use should be discontinued." D. Masa, 1938
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 08:43 PM   #793
diyAudio Member
 
tiefbassuebertr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: D-55629 Schwarzerden
yeah, that's always the case. I know no true complementary pair, that corresponding to it's name - i. e. no diagram has exact a mirror image.
This is the reason, why not only Naim Audio prefer quasi complentary output power buffer circuits (have a look to Quad 303 and much other).
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:10 AM   #794
diyAudio Member
 
tiefbassuebertr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: D-55629 Schwarzerden
I have heard, the2SA1141/2SC2681 from Nippon Electric Company was the absolutely best available power BjT's for Audio power amps - go to post #1 for short form data and
‚m‚d‚b»@‚Q‚r‚`‚P‚P‚S‚PA‚Q‚r‚b‚Q‚U‚W‚PƒRƒ“ƒvƒŠƒ ƒ“ƒ^ƒŠƒgƒ‰ƒ“ƒWƒXƒ^@ƒyƒA

Which currently/ongoing produced and available BjTs from this days are closest to those NEC devices with exceptionally parameters?
and a second question:
What are today's best delivery sources (order addresses) and manufacturers for BjT power devices for audio?

I know Fairchild, Motorola (Toshiba), MOSPEC and Semelab (Magnatec), but I am not able, which of them are real manufacturers instead OEM companies. Additional there are to find a lot of counterfeits, which are very difficult to distinguish from genuine devices - go to
http://sound.westhost.com/fake/counterfeit-p1.htm
so as various threads here on diyaudio.

Thank you for advices and sharing experiences

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 23rd May 2013 at 11:16 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 03:28 PM   #795
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefbassuebertr View Post
I have heard, the2SA1141/2SC2681 from Nippon Electric Company was the absolutely best available power BjT's for Audio power amps - go to post #1 for short form data and
‚m‚d‚b»@‚Q‚r‚`‚P‚P‚S‚PA‚Q‚r‚b‚Q‚U‚W‚PƒRƒ“ƒvƒŠƒ ƒ“ƒ^ƒŠƒgƒ‰ƒ“ƒWƒXƒ^@ƒyƒA

Which currently/ongoing produced and available BjTs from this days are closest to those NEC devices with exceptionally parameters?
and a second question:
What are today's best delivery sources (order addresses) and manufacturers for BjT power devices for audio?

I know Fairchild, Motorola (Toshiba), MOSPEC and Semelab (Magnatec), but I am not able, which of them are real manufacturers instead OEM companies. Additional there are to find a lot of counterfeits, which are very difficult to distinguish from genuine devices - go to
Counterfeit Transistors
so as various threads here on diyaudio.

Thank you for advices and sharing experiences
I'm guessing the OnSemi ThermalTraks and their non-ThermalTrak siblings, at leat as far as what is reasonably available these days. Their price is also quite reasonable.

If you find better than these that are reasonably available, please let me know so that I can cite them in the second edition of my book.

Cheers,
Bob
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 02:40 AM   #796
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ho Chi Minh city
The Semalab's audio power BJT looks new. I have not heard about it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 09:22 AM   #797
diyAudio Member
 
tiefbassuebertr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: D-55629 Schwarzerden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cordell View Post
I'm guessing the OnSemi ThermalTraks and their non-ThermalTrak siblings, at leat as far as what is reasonably available these days. Their price is also quite reasonable.

If you find better than these that are reasonably available, please let me know so that I can cite them in the second edition of my book.

Cheers,
Bob
thank you for this advice. From the associated Toshiba versions there are many fakes on the marked.
Fake Toshiba Transistors 2SA1302/2SC3281 - YouTube
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 09:59 AM   #798
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefbassuebertr View Post
I have heard, the2SA1141/2SC2681 from Nippon Electric Company was the absolutely best available power BjT's for Audio power amps - go to post #1 for short form data and
‚m‚d‚b»@‚Q‚r‚`‚P‚P‚S‚PA‚Q‚r‚b‚Q‚U‚W‚PƒRƒ“ƒvƒŠƒ ƒ“ƒ^ƒŠƒgƒ‰ƒ“ƒWƒXƒ^@ƒyƒA

Which currently/ongoing produced and available BjTs from this days are closest to those NEC devices with exceptionally parameters?
and a second question:
What are today's best delivery sources (order addresses) and manufacturers for BjT power devices for audio?

I know Fairchild, Motorola (Toshiba), MOSPEC and Semelab (Magnatec), but I am not able, which of them are real manufacturers instead OEM companies. Additional there are to find a lot of counterfeits, which are very difficult to distinguish from genuine devices - go to
Counterfeit Transistors
so as various threads here on diyaudio.

Thank you for advices and sharing experiences
Whoever posted that is incorrect. It seems the reason for doing so because of the high FT of that part but it means very little if other parameters are worse. The low Vce means it will have lower early voltage leading to higher distortion and the parts Cob is also not class leading wich will mean highish distortion at high frequencies. Further the SOA is dissapointing compared to other offerings. The most linear transistors I have tested are from Sanken, the 2sa1186/2sc2837 which have similar SOA. Note the only parameter that is not better is Ft. For higher power there is not many around that can match the Sanken pair of 2sa2223A/2sc6145A. The SOA of these parts is exceptional (keeping in mind its high Ft) for the package and only Onsemi΄s bigger packaged transistors can match it. Semelab΄s transistors seem to be as good as these sankens and I think they are licenced versions. Semelab is a major distributor for Sanken in europe and are maybe in collaboration with Sanken.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 11:57 AM   #799
diyAudio Member
 
tiefbassuebertr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: D-55629 Schwarzerden
Quote:
Originally Posted by manso View Post
Whoever posted that is incorrect. It seems the reason for doing so because of the high FT of that part but it means very little if other parameters are worse. The low Vce means it will have lower early voltage leading to higher distortion and the parts Cob is also not class leading wich will mean highish distortion at high frequencies. Further the SOA is dissapointing compared to other offerings. The most linear transistors I have tested are from Sanken, the 2sa1186/2sc2837 which have similar SOA. Note the only parameter that is not better is Ft. For higher power there is not many around that can match the Sanken pair of 2sa2223A/2sc6145A. The SOA of these parts is exceptional (keeping in mind its high Ft) for the package and only Onsemi΄s bigger packaged transistors can match it. Semelab΄s transistors seem to be as good as these sankens and I think they are licenced versions. Semelab is a major distributor for Sanken in europe and are maybe in collaboration with Sanken.
Thank you for this informations.
Concerning counterfeits resp. fakes this thread is the most interesting here on diyaudio:
My Transistors, original or copy?
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2013, 01:22 AM   #800
FQR is offline FQR  Germany
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bad Birnbach, Bavaria
Thank you, too, dear manso. Very interesting.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Output transistor power dissipation. nigelwright7557 Solid State 11 26th May 2008 01:55 PM
Power horizontal deflection transistors work fine in output stages ? aldovan Solid State 7 31st August 2007 01:31 PM
sziklai-darlington diamond buffer (SDDB) for power output stages mtlin12 Solid State 5 1st April 2005 06:55 AM
power transistor output capacitance hienrich Solid State 3 26th December 2004 07:18 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:30 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2