Adcom GFA-555II - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2011, 08:12 PM   #31
yairf is offline yairf  Israel
diyAudio Member

Hi all
I'm contemplating a 555-II rebuild. from a first glance, I noticed some differences from MK1 to MK2, mainly the servo amp in the input stage. I wonder if this makes the amp any better (I doubt it!).
I have schematics for both - if needed send me a line to yfurman at bezeqint dot net.
Cheers,
Yair
Old 2nd September 2011, 08:04 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

hi all,

I modified my original 555 in late 80s. Mod was based on an article in The Audio Amateur.

I've lost all my TAA from years of moving around when I was younger. I would like to know exactly what I did (and reconstitute a good record of my beloved equipment), so does anyone know that exact article, and can help me locate a copy?

Without opening the amp cover, I believe it has 2 stacked toroidal transformers (instead of factory 1), and much higher PS capacitors (2x15,000 uF per channel), I also replaced with polyprolylene caps (Sidereal caps) and 1% metal-film resistors. Also involved changes in circuitry.

The amp sounded beautiful and still does today. Driving pair of Magnepan IIIa, pre-amp is Accuphase C-200.

After the mod I was interested in how it compare to some well-know high-priced power amp. I borrowed a Jeff Rowland and did A/B test. Well, Jeff Rowland still came out ahead, with more 'airiness', but for the money of 555 (and what I could really afford at that time), Adcom was good enough for me.

Anyway, I'd appreciate if someone can help me locate the TAA article. Thanks!

Charles
Old 2nd September 2011, 08:41 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

BTW, I searched db and found mention of PS upgrade article by Kit Ryan but that is all I can find (not sure that was even the same article I used)

Hide this!Advertise here!