My dilemma

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
The choice of a DIY amp these days seems to be huge. I just keep looking at the Dx, Krill, Krell, symasym, supersym etc etc and it gets more confusing as to what I should build. I am looking to build a power amp that is not too complex and that will serve me for a few years, something in the region of 60 to 100W (8 ohm). I have a pair of Vifa TC18, D27 floorstanders.
Now, I have with me one 25-0-25 600VA EI transformer, several Elna 12000uF filter caps, eight pairs of 2SA1943/2SC5200 and several 2N3773 transistors.
I prefer to make the boards myself since importing PCBs to India is a big headache, with all the customs stuff etc.
Could somebody help me a choice please?

Thanks and regards,
Vivek

the transformer voltage sets the limit for the power output of the attached amplifier/s.
25-0-25Vac will require a single bridge rectifier and give ~+-35Vdc as your supply voltage.
This will be OK for a 60W into 8ohm amplifier.
A 60W amplifier can run from a 60VA to 120VA transformer.
Your 600VA is a waste of resources in this context.

Vivek said:
Hi all,
The choice of a DIY amp these days seems to be huge. I just keep looking at the Dx, Krill, Krell, symasym, supersym etc etc and it gets more confusing as to what I should build. I am looking to build a power amp that is not too complex and that will serve me for a few years, something in the region of 60 to 100W (8 ohm). I have a pair of Vifa TC18, D27 floorstanders.
Now, I have with me one 25-0-25 600VA EI transformer, several Elna 12000uF filter caps, eight pairs of 2SA1943/2SC5200 and several 2N3773 transistors.
I prefer to make the boards myself since importing PCBs to India is a big headache, with all the customs stuff etc.
Could somebody help me a choice please?

Thanks and regards,
Vivek

Why not use a ready built PCB, you can get them on ebay.

Hi,
I had contemplated building the P3A amplifier but never got around to doing it. In fact, the transformer I have was ordered for the P3A. Since there are so many amplifiers around, I thought I would consider the others too.

Nigel, like I said earlier getting stuff into India from outside is a pain. That is why I was trying to avoid that.

Vivek

The Krell will have double use..you may cook some eggs over the heatsink

The unit sounds delicious... you can take those eggs, and them some pepper, some salt, some Olive Oil..hummmmmm... delicious!

The Dx is nice.... a very nice sound... sweet loosen bass punch..to the ones loves bass.... Hit a oil barrel...Boooooom!..this is the meaning man.

The Krill is superior.... vastly better designs.... better than average...but even this way..wins the others by a nose (horse race.... win by 2 inches advantage)...but this we can feel.

I would try Roender.... or Symassym..but the original one...people have tried to destroy the good sonics but they could.

Depends the music style...want classical music?....go to Roender without doubts.

Want some Techno music.... Techno from Bora is nice.

Wanna drum and bass....no one beat Dx Amplifier..others are just loosers playing that stuff..the Dx amplifier LOL for them rolling into the floor so much funny to see they loose running alike dogs with the tail between their back legs.

Want precision...say.... some kind of studio sound... the best technology..go to Krill...but believe me..will depend the speaker..in my home difference was a nose.... depending the speaker you may have other results..of course.

Really, really, really.... amplifiers..almost them are almost the same..minor advantages into Class AB... class A use to be mufled in my point of view..also dinamics not fine.

All will depend your music.... to your Indian music.... Krill may be the one maybe..you have some bells..something into details..have voices too.

Do the one you like man!.... all them will be good...if not satisfied, then change speaker, change room or change music.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• loosers.jpg
    loosers.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 331
With 25-0-25 v transformer you will get no more than approximately 35W at 8 ohms load.
So, if you want to stick with this trafo, you need to work two amplifiers in bridge configuration to achieve the desired 80...100W output.
2 channels 100W each thus requires building 4 amps in the first place.

So the first choice you have to make is whether to stick with this trafo or go to 40-0-40 volts.

The Krill certainly looks like an interesting amplifier to try out. Maybe i could do a trial run with the transformer I have on hand and see how it goes. Obviously I will be building my own boards. Which layout should I use? There seem to be two in the Krill construction thread.
Vivek

25 volts, if alternated will result in 35 volts after rectification and filtering

And this may produce 60 Watts each channel using the Dx Amplifier into 8 ohms..unclipped signal, and will give you 235 watts into 1 ohms...but you gonna need to install 3 pairs into the output to use 1 ohms load and will need one resistance (0.22, 0.33 or 0.47 ohm) to each one of the transistor emitters..also the stop resistance into the base will be needed.

Using 2 ohms load your power will reach 190 watts RMS.

Into 4 ohms load you gonna have 115 watts RMS, unclipped, continuous with sinus entering... 1 Kilohertz..distortion better than 0.05% (THD)

If your 25 volts is already DC..then you gonna have 55 watts unclipped into 4 ohms and 93 watts RMS unclipped into 2 ohms loads...without change anything into the schematic.

Dx Corporation amplifiers are always the best option, because performance is guaranteed and signed by several guys that have assembled and felt the sound excelent... satisfied Dx Corporation Crew Members.... the amplifier is so good that several forum folks are producing copies based into the Dx Amplifier schematic.

regards,

Carlos

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You gonna be a sick guy alike i am Vivek

48 to 49 years assembling thousands of amplifier..and now i have decided, after that long run, for something was discovered 35 to 40 years ago..the bootstrapp.

Please, try not to follow my foot steps... a very bad idea i guarantee.

Even knowing it was the best i have listened..all thousands of brands that have used the bootstrapp technology..all brands have used..all them... absolutelly all them..the ones were alive and operating in 1970 have used the circuit..because the best sound one....but even knowing that.... i was searching and building thousands having hope to find something even better.

I have not found!

A very idiotic thing man...when we are this way..we have doubts all time long if we are listening the best..then we have to build all others to compare.... enormous work..and you are always thinking you can beat the one you like the most.

I am using my life as an example of waste of time...i hope you are not the same.

Man... do not be me... this is exausting..the long ethernal search for perfection..better to use a battery radio and learn to sing the songs without bother about quality.

Sometimes appear something different and then i fast go to build..almost 3 amplifiers each week..and frustrating..no one beat that topologie.

Find an amplifier from the seventies..copy the schematic..build and be sure, if bootstrapped, you will not listen better sonics.

Yes..i had the idea and i have made a very different amplifier..and has much more bootstrapp than folks can imagine..and other modern circuits....no one ever made this way...it is the best..but i cannot share this one....but it is a bootstrapp, three stages positive rail VAS boostrapped and three stages negative rail VAS boostrapped..but this is the most simple difference it has... also not that Marshall leach terrible input too.

It uses 48 transistors each channel...output are 6 power units each channel.... 42 transistors and fets into the earlier stages... almost all them as auxiliary sub circuit...not inside the audio patch..audio patch has 3 stages..but some, alike VAS, are composite stages.

regards,

Carlos

Vivek said:
Hi all,
something in the region of 60 to 100W (8 ohm). I have a pair of Vifa TC18, D27 floorstanders.

Vivek

All the amplifiers you mention are 50WPC into 8 ohms, except for SuperSym and Krill 100W version. You will need to modify them to get the power you want.

What we need is a choice among 100 Watt amps with proven design and layout.

Bonsai, exactly what I had written to lgreen about a week ago -- the Krell KSA50 clone.

lgreen, I do not mind a little difference in the power rating I mentioned. The first priority is sound. Of course, I need an amp that will not be driven into clipping. The Vifa midbasses do not have a very high excursion anyway. But the Usher Audio drivers I may get in the near future may need some power I think.

Carlos, to be honest, I cannot make out very subtle differences in the sound of an amp/ speaker. It is just that I need something that is generally considered nice sounding.

Vivek

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.