Speakers wiring

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Noob question this. If I have a power amp and attach a speaker to its output, say a mid-range driver with freq 300 Hz - 8 KHz, what is going to happen to the frequencies that the speaker cannot reproduce? Surely they will simply convert to heat? For example if there is a 100 Hz or a 15 KHz component alone, I would not be able to hear anything but in the meantime I will be frying the speaker? (in my mind the answer is yes, but just seeking reassurance).

Dear Akis ,
if you do the test at 1 watt (which could be more than enough) you can hear what's happening without any damage.
Have you taken a look at coils wire diameter?
If you apply 10 watt , more things get involved ,mechanical action of the cone which is a piston but has cinetic and elastical energy.
Luckily , the same old capacitor,resistance and inductance give us an aid for their reactions in AC with frequency ,that's why they're used to reduce drastically some audio bands where the loudspeaker for it mechanical limits just can't go.

akis said:
what is going to happen to the frequencies that the speaker cannot reproduce? Surely they will simply convert to heat?
with most "normal" speakers on the market, expect 99% of the input power to be converted to heat and 1% to come out as acoustic power.

If you send a signal outside the passband of the speaker then that 99% becomes 100%. Does that change the voice coil temperature too much?

What is much worse is the increase in output distortion as the speaker tries to reproduce the out of band signals.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.