BGW Model 200 ...lazy left channel (??)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a BGW Model 200, used $25.
One channel is fine, the other is weak, and slightly distorted.

I have traced a signal on the inputs (w/sine wave)

..balanced input >> NE5532 unbalancing circuit >> potentiometer >> amp circuit input

And all seems fine there, both channels give the same results.
It's on the outputs that they differ, and I am not sure on how (where) to trace the rest of the amplifier circuit....I don't have a schematic.
I could measure and compare EVERY transistor...working channel vs. sick channel.

Any ideas where to start ??

=RR=

I would first check the output transistors; if they got fried and their base is shorted to emitter that could show the same effects as you tell (drivers feeding the speaker, no power and much distortion).

Also, one of the more often occuring accidents are to short the speaker outputs, which also often kills the output transistors.

Have fun, Hannes

Update...
Tested transistors as h_a suggested.
All seemed fine.

However...I did see that there was a missing resistor R114 (@1.54k).
Then, turning the unit around...heard a loose object rattling around under the circuit board.
Guess what it was.....a 1.54k ohm resistor, with pre-bent, unsoldered leads.
So I soldered it in, and praise-be-Allah... it works.

Why was it never soldered in ?? Maybe the former (Sony studios) tech was about to do this, and dropped/lost the resistor under the board, couldn't retrieve it, and shelved the unit indefinitely. (this board seems like a PIA to remove).

=R=

Wao, I was repairing a minimal problem on this amplifier in mint condition, after hearing a lot of audiophile and professional amplifiers I got surprise on how well built and how good it sounds and I bought it, even if I don't need it by now because I listen to music through my Audio Refinement Complete integrated amp which sounds excellent, this BGW is now be my back up system couple with my
McCormack Micro Line Drive Preamp would sound phenomenal both together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.