Adcom 5800

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Roy,
Probably not. It's a decent amplifier and it isn't really that old. The main filters should be fine for many years yet.

There are some small resistors that should be replaced with a higher wattage, the originals open on surges.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Nelson,
If the price is reasonable, then go for it. Often the price is not reasonable.
That could be a slippery slope you're on, and then again - maybe not. I guess the definition of "reasonable" differs widely between people.

For you, there is no sense in sending something out for service. For someone who is not trained in service, the repair is required unless you plan to replace with new. Buying used often opens someone up to a botched repair, so you end up in possibly a worse situation. I've seen that happen often enough over the years.

Hi Nelson, ROY'S,
I do know of several service outlets that grossly overcharge for service. These are generally the places that also service TV's. Also, taking an amp in for service through a dealer will culminate in a high $ invoice. Do you know that many stores want to double the service invoice???! Take it in direct to the service facility what ever you do. Also check the reputation of the technician or facility.

Nelson is correct in labour running a couple hours, unless there are other things to do also. There are amplifiers that take longer to service due to the complexity of the assembly.

The cost of caps from Digikey is somewhat unrealistic as well. The shop had to purchase and stock these items and there is a cost associated with that. Even if they order the parts in when required, there are minimum orders and shipping charges to consider. On top of this, there may have been some experimentation or hand matching required for some parts (thinking transistors for this).

One other thing to consider. How much would this amp cost to replace with one of equal performance - new. You can't consider a used one, it needs similar work if age related. Very often it is far less expensive to get a proper service job done. Where I come from, repaired amplifiers often outlast and / or sound better than ones never serviced. A good technician's hand can optimize the operating conditions. Sometimes that means matching transistors and the odd pair of resistors.

-Chris

Hi,
Anatech, could you specify which 5800 resistors normally burn open? Mine came with a burned R101 and blown C101 and C201 in the ground circuit. I also found R14 in the error LED circuit burned open.
The amps previous own had broken off the right channel RCA jack and damaged the balanced/ unbalanced toggle switch. He said it played OK in balanced mode, but the switch was open in that position.
I'm hoping that the bad switch caused enough offset to pop the ground components. I'm dreading that the unit took a lightning hit. I got a "bargain" GTP-500 on Ebunk that had its tuner and input switching circuits damaged by lightning. I never could fix it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.