Denon PRA-1500 Pot Travel - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2009, 09:46 PM   #1
Plundering the Planet From the Comfort of Home
diyAudio Member

Default Denon PRA-1500 Pot Travel

I'm having to turn the pot on this unit all the way up to about 2 oclock to reach loud listening levels on my system. Is there a simple way to reduce the resistance of the pot or is my only option to replace it with one of lower value?

I'm guessing it is soldered onto a board, any idea if it would be difficult to find a drop in replacement? One consequence of this is increased buzzing from the pre at the higher volume position. Is going with a lower resistance pot a good way to correct this problem or will I just get the buzzing occurring with less pot travel also?
Old 4th July 2009, 10:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

That's a gain structure issue. This preamp obviously has less gain than others you have used. Changing the pot, assuming it's used in the typical fashion, won't make any difference.

If there is no noise or distortion issue, what difference does it make what position the pot is in? Having the main VC in the system further CCW means all you are doing is wasting gain by dividing it away in the pot.

Hide this!Advertise here!