whats the besy way of testing Sanken LEXAM SAPM01 transistors??.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
been given a e faulty pionner surround amplifier

theres a problem keeps comming up with error was told power output stage is damaged.

i have had a look at the power transistors question is the transistors are Sanken LEXAM SAPM01 audio transistors.

i have noticed they are not like normal 3 pin power transistors which you can test with a dmm on diode function for shorts but these have 5 legs how do i test these as not come across these type before?

IMG_5397.jpg

IMG_5400.jpg

can someone please advize.

thanks

If I have what appears to be a blown MOSFET I disconnect the source, connect the gate and drain together and apply a current controlled (200mA, 500mA is fine) 12V source to the drain-gate junction, measure the voltage from the DG junction to S -- these flavor of MOSFET's turn on at between 3 and 4 volts, so you should get a reading in the vicinity of 4V if they are working.

I have never blown out the temperature sensing diode in Sanken's bipolar transistors, but it is important that the current flowing through them is at the level specified by the company, elsewise they will experience thermal runaway. In this case it would appear that you should lift pin 4 of the P-channel device, measure the resistance from pin 4 to 5. Reconnect to the circuit and measure the voltage across the pin 4 and 5 -- which will give you the forward current (should be 3mA).

I can't find these transistors at the usual 2 suspects for Sanken -- ProfusionPLC and Allegro.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
joeyuk said:
any ideas how i can test these on my digital multimeter guys?

do i test same as normal 3 pin power transistors? as the 5 leg type in throwing me.

im getting "amp error" so wanted to check power output transistors.

One obvious test is for shorts between any two pins. If you're lucky :)o ) that will be the case (disconnect the pins from the board before doing this).

Also, the build-in emitter resistor may be open-circuited, this happens often with the MOSFET itself still being OK. If that is the case you can put in an external emitter resistor and you're good to go.

Other than that I don't know of a simple way to test MOSFETs with a multimeter.

Jan Didden

ok just a update guys.

i was getting "amp error" soon as i switch on amp, checked the sapm01 they all measure the same so think they are ok.

i then removed AWX8411 small board which is connected to main transformer and the amplifier come on as normal ??

all i can find about the AWX8411 small curcuit is its a VH TR ASSY, not sure function of this small board.

looked at the 2 transistors checked with diode function and seem ok?

heres a few pics of the small board and also pinout where it connects on transformer.

the small curcuit
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

rear of curcuit
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

pinout connection off transformer

anyone any ideas why is comming on when this board is dissonnected and i get amp error when it is connected?

It's a voltage regulator of some kind, probably used to derive lower supply rails from the main voltages.

Just because the amp "comes on as normal" because you removed that board, doesn't mean that board is faulty. For example, you may simply have removed the power supplies powering the protection circuitry. You need to figure out whats going into it and what should be coming out of it to determine if it's faulty or not.

jackinnj posted a link to a datasheet for the Sanken/Lexam mosfets. Look on Page 5 and it explains what the pins are for. You test them as you would test any MOSFET - here's a basic howto:

http://www.4qdtec.com/mostest.html

More advanced tests:

http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/mos.pdf

You need to desolder them from the circuit to do this. Indeed, you need to desolder ANY transistor or active device to test it properly - the surrounding circuitry can easily interfere with the readings.

thanks jaycee i will tested them in curcuit and they all measured the same so took them as ok but i will have to remove them and do another test out of curcuit i looked at the pdf janneman posted regarding the power mosfets

im just a bit lost regarding the pinouts as they are 5 pin in stead of the normal 3 pin

could you tell me what pins are, base collector and emittor on these 5 pin mosfets jaycee ?

thanks

You aren't reading what I am posting.

They are MOSFETs, they dont have base,collector, emitter - they have gate, source and drain.

On page 5 of the data sheet posted, it explains what the pins are. It explains what the extra pins are for.

I'm getting the impression you are hoping to measure things with a multimeter and replace anything that looks burnt, blown or tests bad. This isn't really going to get you anywhere I'm afraid.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.