battery powered amp need ideas!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
battery powered amp need idears!!

I wan't to make abettery powered amp for using to amplify my bass guitar when I play in the street with my friends.

Im not sure of what to build ,I wan't to run the hole thing from a car battery.

I have been thinking about Tda1554 Ic.(bridge) But If there is a better solution ??
I will like to get as much power as posible without making switsing supply.

I have been thinking if there is some Class d. Integreated ic's that are easy to work with.

I have that idear that it's will safe battery because of less head waist??

If any body can help of direct me to web place for this issue.

thanks jeppe c.

If you dont want a switching supply then you will need at least heaps of car batteries get the required voltage swing.... chances are you will need 4, 6 or 8 batteries.

Also bass requires the most power in the audio band.

Having said that, using a single car battery without a switching supply you can produce just less than 9W into 8ohms bridged.... 18W into 4ohms bridged ....... ok for a radio ........ not of much value for anything else.

It's not a high power amp i wan't to build

I know that it's not that much That can be pull out from a battery.
If somebody have build and Switching supply and Have make it work stabil. I will be happy to hear about it's

I have been looking for this and It's pretty complicated.

jc.

For quick and cheep I think I'd find a small automotive type amp with low level inputs and build a preamp for it. Find an amp that can be bridged for extra power if you need it. The whole thing could be built into the speaker box just like any other instrument amp. The battery and charger could be a seperate box that the speaker/amp sets on when in use.

Just a thought, have fun.

I think you can get plenty of power from a car battery. It would still be easiest to use an even number of them in series so you have a grounded center tap, but 2 will do just fine. You would just need to make however many low power amps you need that run on +/-12V and run them in parallel from the batteries, but have a separate speaker for each of them. They could each deliver almost 35W into 2 ohms, which would probably be about the impedance you want so you can get enough power from your low voltage, but wouldn't be as hard to design as an amp that can drive 1 ohm or less. You could get about 70W from a dual 2 ohm speaker, just have an amp for each voice coil. You could also just make a very low impedance amp to drive lots of paralleled speakers, there is a thread about that called "a diy amp for looow impedance", but low impedance amps are not an easy project.

Good luck! :D

I think I side with the use a car amp folks. Why sweat this when you can get a decent amp for your purposes for low money. One that would have protection circuts built in already, etc. Plus you can get one of the D, T, H or whatever class amps for increased efficency, thus play longer on your charge. I think I would look for one with a regulated power supply since you would not be charging it while you play, thus the ability to play while the voltage drops would be much longer.

BTW, lets hear it for street artists. Living in DC, every once in a while I get to hear some really good player(s) playing actual live music. I make sure to dump a couple of bucks into the case - the couple of minutes I stand there and listen can really brighten up a day. There is a guy who used to sing old doowop standards at the base of the Metro stop.... The design of the area had great reverb. There is a group that plays something from somewhere in S. America often at Foggy Bottom... again, great stuff. :) So support the arts where you find it - or you won't find it much.

battery amp

hi.

this little sweetie runs fine on 12v , (or 24v or 36v.......)

you can find more info at (www.cadaudio.dk/pwmaudio.htm)

k madsen - cad audio dk

Attachments

• cc_amp07b.jpg
    cc_amp07b.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 514
A few years ago our church used to do outreach missions into central Africa and I built two TDA 2005 bridged amps that they used for both live music as well as portable sound systems. They seemed to work quite well, easy to build did not run the battery down to low.
Another plus was that we could plug a guitar directly into it and using its volume control we got full power out of the amp, and did not need a preamp. Obviously if you want better sound you will need some sort of tone control. We used a 9 volt cheap 4 into 1 mixer for mics etc.
I must admit that I never tested it with a Bass guitar, they often distort small amps easily.
If you want I can find the schematic as well as the PCB layout and post it to you. It was originally designed as a car tape booster in an EE magazine.

DieterD

Re: battery powered amp need idears!!

partyjups said:
I wan't to make abettery powered amp for using to amplify my bass guitar when I play in the street with my friends.

Im not sure of what to build ,I wan't to run the hole thing from a car battery.

I have been thinking about Tda1554 Ic.(bridge) But If there is a better solution ??
I will like to get as much power as posible without making switsing supply.

I have been thinking if there is some Class d. Integreated ic's that are easy to work with.

I have that idear that it's will safe battery because of less head waist??

If any body can help of direct me to web place for this issue.

thanks jeppe c.

Just get a car amp and a 12.6V car battery; might need to make a preamp/filter(op-amps)...Just keep a battery charger [or car]handy when not in use.

Always remember the old creed... Keep it simple, stupid.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.