Using Vertical Fets below Thermal Equilibrium pt?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. I'm designing a simple HV shunt regulator at the moment (for a tube stage) and am prevented from using lateral fets because their highest Vds seems to be 200v or so.

Also I'll be only running them at a few mA, so they will be have a negative Vgs tempco anyway.

So the plan is to use vertical fets.

Now I gather the DC feedback will take care of the Vgs decrease with temperature, but I
am worried about the phenomenon of thermal "hot spots" in VFets:hot:

Are there any tips to operate VFets safely in these conditions? Apologies if this is a silly question, as I know Nelson Pass's stuff has no problem on this front....

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I just thought this would be the place to ask:angel:

Cheers dudes

Attachments

• reg.jpg
    reg.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 163
wildswan said:
Hi all. I'm designing a simple HV shunt regulator at the moment (for a tube stage) and am prevented from using lateral fets because their highest Vds seems to be 200v or so.

Also I'll be only running them at a few mA, so they will be have a negative Vgs tempco anyway.

So the plan is to use vertical fets.

Now I gather the DC feedback will take care of the Vgs decrease with temperature, but I
am worried about the phenomenon of thermal "hot spots" in VFets:hot:

Are there any tips to operate VFets safely in these conditions? Apologies if this is a silly question, as I know Nelson Pass's stuff has no problem on this front....

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I just thought this would be the place to ask:angel:

Cheers dudes

I have used vertical power MOSFETs as pass regulators in a tube amplifier with no problem (screen voltage regulators in a Pentode amplifier with KT88s, and also for driver and input stage B+).

Hot spots should be no problem in your application as long as you stay below rated dissipation and do a decent job of heat sinking them.

Cheers,
Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.