30V dc Turn On Thump Forte FT1 Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hey all,

Got a Forte FT1 5 channel amp that has a monster turn on thump that drops 30VDC/20VDC to the right/left speakers when turned on. After the thump it drops to less than 20mv DC offset on both channels.

I put in a Soft Start that slows inrush and delays the cap charge, but doesn't really help a lot. Just seems to delay the thump a little.

When turned off it races to 3V, and has a little turn off thump. I looked for bleeder resistors and there was none, so I put 5k ohm/5 Watt across each rail (there are dual primaries and dual secondaries , so two pairs of resistors or four total) and seems to help a little...

Amp sounds just fine after the annoying thumps. Previous owner just left it on all the time.

There is NO info on this amp online. Anyone have any experience with this amp? Its annoying as hell, and my speakers cant take much more...

Turn on thumbs are often caused by aged caps that charge differently fast, replacing them with new ones may help you.

Softstart and 5k resistors (4mA is much less than the bias current anyway) will not really help you with that.

Have fun, Hannes

Speaker protect

Got a Forte FT1 5 channel amp that has a monster turn on thump that drops 30VDC/20VDC to the right/left speakers when turned on. After the thump it drops to less than 20mv DC offset on both channels.

Speaker protect circuit will allow your voltage from startup to voltage stabalise and only then connect the speaker.

Chris

Joined 2005
Paid Member
The speaker delay circuit would not really be feasible, as there are five channels, and not much room in the chassis.

It would be nice to find out if the caps are shot before I disassemble the amp to replace them...there are four 1000uf/63V on power supply.

If the PS caps were bad, wouldn't I see some nasty DC offset, or hum, or other audio issues along with the thump? It works perfectly fine after the monster thump on and slight thump off.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I do notice when shutting down one channel continues playing for 3 or so seconds longer that the other channel....maybe there are cap issues after all...

NOTE - Actually, there are two separate power supplies, one for the front and center (125 wpc each) and one for the rear channels (55 wpc each) and I had the center speaker and one of the rear channels connected, so thats why the different draw downs...

When fronts or center speaker outs are connected, no difference in draw down, and same in the rears...

john65b said:
OK, scratch what I had posted, as there IS a difference in draw down on shut down (and the pop at start up too) between the outputs by a couple of seconds...

Can the thump be because of a start up voltage imbalance between the two rails?

It's a poor design. It should have relays. What happens if one of the output transistors short out ?? Could even cause a fire in the speakers :( But then again the unit could be faulty.

What you could do is to build an outboard speaker protection and dethump unit and use the 12 volt trigger from the HT unit to switch it on and off.

regards
trev

Joined 2005
Paid Member
OK, so I am convinced that the previous owner before my friend had the amp disabled the mute circuit. He did a pretty sloppy job replacing the caps (under the board) and ran a separate wire from the PS rails to the main channel output devices.

What is annoying is there is NO INFO on this amp anywhere. If anyone has a schematic it would be nice to send it to me...

Anyway, here is a pic (extra high res) of the circuit.

I have circled what appears to be a resistor or component missing that disables the mute circuit. The switch that disables signal-less channels leading to the circuit in the middle also does not function and may be a part of the mute circuit.

Anyway, any advice? I am contemplating just soldering up a timer relay an speaker outs, but would like to see if I could get the amp back to original first...like I said, the DC offset s perfectly low and stable after 5 seconds on all 5 channels, just pops like a SOB when turned on (30VDC spike)...All 5 channels all have this turn on thump.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi.
Just discovered your post on the Forte Model FT1.

I picked one up a while ago and it's in my HT setup. One of the channels has gone out...

I'm wondering what kind of output transistors it uses(are they BJT, of IGBT)? Model?

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Chas

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I do not remember the devices in mine...

I would open the the top - you will see all five amp sections - to the right is the two L / R, and the left is the three other channels - look for some fried caps or resistors in the bad section. Each amp section will have a LED. If all is good, the LED should be lit...

Sorry can't help much, my amp was traded off a long while ago, and my memory sucks eggs...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.