OPA604-again - but the offset is -18v!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys,

I have tried but failed to obtain a service manual for my RESTEK Fantasy amplifier.

I wanted to make a few mods to see if I can further push the perfomance of this beast!

I thought i'd look for some straight forward easy gains. OpAmps, decoupling and PSU smoothers.Some of this is straight forward.

It looks like the first stage of gain/buffer is an OPA2604. This should swap out directly with an LME49720(HA) and I see no reason for concern here.

My are of concern is the next stage before main power stage. There is an OPA604 with -18v on both offset trim pins (1&5).

What does the DC offset do? (risk of abuse here I think!;) )

I assume I shouldn't ignot it and replace with something like LME49710?

any comments muchly appreciated

Thanks

Ian

Was an error, only a human mistake..show us the schematic

was the operation amplifier connected to nothing , presenting this off set?

Or you have made an entire amplifier, with the op amp into the input and them you had that off set?

Show us the schematic my friend....it looks a natural human mistake..we do that daily...join the club if you did that.

the chip amplifier output lead use to be connected to the amplifier output, and there you should have zero volts... we cannot have big voltage there, as 18 volts for instance, as this will represent 40 watts wast into the amplifier..and if it works, almost half cicle fo the signal will be absent or distorted.

Of set is some residual DC voltage that remains into the output line and you can measure it into the DC milivolts scale...it uses to be smaller than 25 milivolts and people loves to adjust it to less than 3 milivolts.

regards,

Carlos

Re: Re: OPA604-again - but the offset is -18v!!!!

analog_sa said:

The fact that you're asking this question is not very promising. The fact that you're lazy to reverse the circuit, even less so.

Chances something will blow are high but let this not stop you in your quest for perfection.

Hi, Thanks for the info!

Comments are a little harsh I feel! I am in the process of trying to reverse engineer the circuit to see if this sheds any light (but its very complex) . I am asking the question because I don't want to perform what on the surface seems to be a straight forward swap out but in actual fact is a little more comlplex than my current understanding.

I was hoping to find the offset pins n.c. but no such luck!

Does the offset mean the output of the opamp is +/- about the -18v rail? i.e. the effective DC output is at -18v?

I am very familiar with upgrades to multiple CD players and have built my own TDA1541 DAC so I'm not unintelligent. This is the first time I've dared to contemplate messing with this expensive hardware.

Again any help would be very much appreciated

Ian

Re: Re: Re: OPA604-again - but the offset is -18v!!!!

UV101 said:

Does the offset mean the output of the opamp is +/- about the -18v rail? i.e. the effective DC output is at -18v?

No. Most probably the offset is at zero, or close. It is strange you're asking instead of measuring pin6.

In any case the offset of the entire amp will be influenced by the pot connected to pin1,5.

UV101 said:

It looks like the first stage of gain/buffer is an OPA2604. This should swap out directly with an LME49720(HA) and I see no reason for concern here.

My are of concern is the next stage before main power stage. There is an OPA604 with -18v on both offset trim pins (1&5).
just a comment from the side...with supply voltages >= +/-18V finding alternative audio-opamps to the OPA604 family is difficult.
Your LME is not specified for this.
Regards

Hi Juergen

Is you only concern the operating voltage being right on the limit?

Regards Ian

Analogue_SA, do you have any information or links to such that I could become enlightened on subject matter surrounding the DC offset of OpAmps. I'm sorry if I offended you with my obvious stupidity. I was asking the question in the belief that someone would share their knowledge on such subjects. I thought the idea of the forum was to share and help not to insult. I'm not too lazy to reverse engineer the circuit nor am I so stupid that I can't measure the DC on the output of the OpAmp. Once again I'm sorry to have asked a higher intelligence such a remedial question

I presume the offset pins are not connected to anything on the PCB.

The voltages you see are normal. To use the offset adjust facility, a 10K to 100K pot is connected across the offset adjust pins with the wiper connected to V-.

This will allow the o/p offset to be adjusted to zero, or whatever.

Some OAs have the adjustment to V+. It depends on whether the input differential pair ar "NPN" or "PNP"

Any op-amp data sheet will show this.

Mr Evil said:
Look at the simplified schematic of the OPA604 in its datasheet and you will see why the offset adjust pins are at -18V.

P.S. in my opinion, just about any op-amp is superior to OPA604.

Thanks Mr Evil, Indeed after some further research and much "undoing" to get to the underside of the board, I did find that the pins are "floating" and the -18v is coming from the device itself (albeit I couldn't understand exactly why from the datasheet).

I have replaced the dual OPA2604'2 with some LME49720HA (in TO-99) and replaced the bypass caps with 100uF Rubycon ZA's with stunning results. The rail here is lower (+/-15v).

I'm still contemplating trying some LME47910 to replace the OPA604's now I can see the offset is not used. However the rail is +/-18.5v here and so exceeds the operating voltage for the device. Any suggestions?

Thanks Ian

cliff said:
I presume the offset pins are not connected to anything on the PCB.
Indeed! They are not connected to the board!

cliff said:
The voltages you see are normal. To use the offset adjust facility, a 10K to 100K pot is connected across the offset adjust pins with the wiper connected to V-.

This will allow the o/p offset to be adjusted to zero, or whatever.
So, for example, if you chose to use this amp to build a headphones amp, you could adjust the DC on the output to zero (if it wasn't already) and thus negate the need for a DC blocking cap on the output?

UV101 said:
...I did find that the pins are "floating" and the -18v is coming from the device itself (albeit I couldn't understand exactly why from the datasheet)...
Look at the one on page 12 because it has some values marked, so you can work it out.

The first thing to notice is that R3/4/8/9 must all have the same voltage across them because they are tied to the emitters of Q1/2/3/4 respectively, which all have their bases, and thus also their emitters, at the same potential because their bases are connected together.

Therefore, if you can work out the voltage across one of the resistors, you know the voltage across all of them. Luckily, the current through R9 is known, because it's just the value of the current source I2, 200μA. So the voltage across R9 is 200μA * 3kΩ = 0.6V

So the voltages at pins 1 and 5 are both only 0.6V above the negative supply rail.

UV101 said:

Indeed! They are not connected to the board!

So, for example, if you chose to use this amp to build a headphones amp, you could adjust the DC on the output to zero (if it wasn't already) and thus negate the need for a DC blocking cap on the output?

Exactly!

You don't need to know about what is the voltage on these pins. Use the published circuit for offset trim (Page 12 of the BB data sheet) or leave them unconnected.

There are some clever fiddles using those pins to do special things, but you are not ready for that stuff, yet!

The fact that you're asking this question is not very promising. The fact that you're lazy to reverse the circuit, even less so.

Chances something will blow are high but let this not stop you in your quest for perfection.

Just stumbled accross this again and was equally offended the 2nd time I read it! Was mistaken over the offset when I posted this the 1st time round. In my lazyness, I now have a daigram (thanks dtes) if you look at the complexity, you will see why I might have been "too lazy" to reverse engineer the circuit. Luckily for me, it doesn't matter that I'm "too lazy" because I now have the circuit.

Anyone have an idea why a Burson discrete opamp wont work here?? The BB604 on the input stage of the main power section

Attachments

• fantasyII-2.zip
    678.8 KB · Views: 69
Looking at the circuit I would not recommend using a non-FET input opamp. The Burson is certainly out as it would undoubtedly oscillate.

The opamp is used as a V to I converter in this design, so substituting opamps blindly is a bad idea as the amp is designed around what the opamp does on it's power rails more than what it does on its output. It's similar in arrangement to the Alexander Current Feedback amp (Analog Devices AN-211).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.